Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What a Character!

We still have an abundance of mud...probably will until the ground freezes for winter, but the driveway is still hard and makes perfect footing for continuing with our groundwork! Today Linus and I worked on sharpening up cues. He's getting so good with backing up! He moves really well where I want him to without having to take up slack in the lead rope...unless he thinks it's time to enjoy what is left of the lawn! A quick reminder brings him back to focus on me. It was a really good day for working on things like this because it was again very windy. The weanling heifers and steers were at the front of their pasture right beside the driveway. They ran away a bit when Linus got within feet of their fence. I have to credit my boy though, he raised his head but did not put a foot out of place or even consider spooking. This was great since Allie was calling for him from their pasture. He had a lot of distraction but didn't give in to any of it.
The above picture is Linus desperately hoping Owen (who he was watching) was going to come and give him a scratch. Owen laughed at Linus but then hopped on his little tractor and drove away. Poor Linus was some disappointed at this decision! It is a great pic to show how intrigued he is with kids!

I know some of you are familiar with his breeding and in this picture I see so much of his father 
WW Moonshadow. I sent this picture to Lynn for her thoughts (his breeder and owner of Linus' parents. Not to mention family friend and fellow RAC'er. I titled the pic "Red Moon"

What a guy; this was after our training session. Linus thought he would open the side door of the trailer, knock my brushes over and then see if he could find some treats. It was such a laugh that I did get him some. Our trailer is parked right near the horse pasture so I keep the feed tub, tack box and cart in there.


I'm not sure if he was trying to unclip himself but if you look closely, he has the lead rope in his mouth...really have to work at keeping him from getting bored!

I asked Linus to back out of the trailer and you can see his eye and ear on me and the lead rope is still slack too. Such a good boy. I was reluctant to end our session today as it had been so much fun but it was time to go. I know why he is having his growth spurt now. It's so he will be all fired up and ready to go for the November challenge......

Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, On 
Canada

10 comments:

  1. My dogs hold the leash like that in their mouths. I bet Linus will be a good boy to get his teeth floated. He is totally handsome, too - a very striking color and now he looks so grown up. It won't be quite enough for the November contest, though, I'm sorry to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see about that...is your pony ready? : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies,
    What is the Nov. challenge? I have not been following the contests.
    Lyle will NOT be ready for the Nov. Challenge. But maybe one day he will....
    Linus Red Moon is a real credit to Lyn's breeding work. Lyn stood on the shoulders of Pat Wilson who came before her. And that really is what we all do, benefit from the hard work of those who came before.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks beautiful Donna :) Yes, when they are bored, they try to eat the Lead Rope it seems :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penny, Denise sent out an e-mail to all RACers a couple of weeks ago and asked them to pick a partner for a mysterious "November Challenge" where we can compete for points and prizes. I'll bet Lyle WILL be ready for the challenge - who knows what Denise has up her sleeve. Donna is doing her best to scare me into submission so she can get a jump start out of the gate, BUT, DONNA...IT AIN'T WORKING, GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, your team started it...can't take the heat? : )
    look closely into Linus' eye...he's in competition mode....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Susan, you know Harold Fairchild calls me "Izzy" to get me annoyed at him. And if an old lady can do it on what used to be a throw away horse, count Lyle and me in! If I make a fool out of myself, so be it! But I will be a fool who is at peace and that is enough.
    So Harold, WILL YOU be my partner is this? O.K. us old fuddy duddies rule! And Harold, never forget that you bred one of the best curly horses in Europe. Harold, never forget that one day you and I will run off to the Bad Lands, o.k. (Of course, we will take our respective spouses along!)
    Sincerely,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go Penny!! I bet you and Lyle can handle the November challenge. Its worth a try! Good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linus looks great and I am sure he will do great in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna,
    Thank you. Lyle and I will sure give it our best try.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete