Thursday, October 27, 2011

Another great Day for Ozzie !

Here's the latest update on my favorite pupil.  He's hitched to his Aunt Nimue's cart. I made some adjustments to the harness -- trading out the traces for longer ones, lowering the tug loops. I still am not content with the fit so we are going to work on that over the next few days. However - Even with a poor fit -- take a look at Tuesday's accomplishments !




I generally begin the school day with some exercises in the indoor. This warms him up and gets Ozzie supple - mentally and physically. Also this work prepares for his under saddle training which will come down the road.  We do a lot of walking with circles at every corner of the indoor -- walking figure eight's.. and of course the same lesson with a trot.

Hitched to the cart - we repeat the ground driving down in the big ring. This is Ozzie's second trip into the big ring.










Working on all sorts of turning. The driving whip is mainly for an aid in cueing Ozzie. If he is ever to become a nice driven dressage pony - he'll need to understand those cues. If I can - I like to lay the foundation for all possibilities for his future.  A good whoa is probably the most important feature in driving :) You are not going to use a one rein quick stop when your horse is inside the shafts.




 
Ozzie is fairly talented with the tighter turns - learning to push the cart over with his shoulder and learning to side step his way through the turn. And I guess you all can tell, it's quite the blustery day on the hill today !




Ozzie is doing so well and I can tell his mood is open and willing.  SO......




I have to mention that normally I wear my helmet when driving.  I was not thinking and forgot to pack it with me when I went down the drive way into the big ring. I hope everyone always wears their helmets !!

I am so incredibly happy with my student....  I said to Zoe .. I should have called him the Wizard of OZ !!  because he obviously is the wizard of carts :)

and I'll mention again -- he's for sale.. all of you who want a nice gelding who will soon be every bit the driving pony that his Auntie Nimue is !!



He even pulled me back home - I like this photo with my little sausage dog following along. 





Betsy and Ozzie in Vermont




7 comments:

  1. Wow what a guy! Brains and looks...naturally that only comes in equines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I envy you Betsy. I wish I could spend as much time with my horses as you do :) Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well Caren from the looks of your whiteboard schedule that you posted.. you are spending a lot of time with your horses !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest last picture! Your dog and Ozzie are the same color (all you have to do now is color your hair now :) Kidding!) He is a really nice boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture with Fritz is adorable. You know, there used to be a lady in my dog training classes that dyed her hair to match her red Siberian Husky - no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies -- I am pretty darn proud. One thing I LOVE about these horses.. they make me look good -- when truly it's so easy to work with a horse so smart and agreeable :)

    ReplyDelete