Sunday, October 9, 2011

Groundwork with Suri

I will blog again after a long time. We changed internet proveders and were without internet for a while and after that it was just a bit bussy.
Suri was ill 2 weeks ago (some kind of flu) and is still not 100%. She seems ok but not as happy as she was before so I had her blood checked to see if there is something the matter of if she is missing some kind of nutrient. Because of the bad weather of this season our haylage is not of the quality that we used to have. All over the country the hay and haylage is poor so it might mean that all horses need more or a different kind of additional feed this year. I hope to find out tomorrow when the results come in.
I am doing groundwork with her to keep her focussed. Today when I came to the field both Suri and Voelie were lying sleeping. Voelie allowed me to sit with her and cuddle while she was lying down but then I think Suri got jealous and nipped at Voelie wich made her stand up. I took Suri out for some groundwork and walking and trotting in hand. She was acting a bit spoiled (probably because I spoil her..) so it was time to re establish our boundries. When I say stand still it means that she should stand still and not try and walk on, that kind of stuff. She seemed happy getting this attention and with me taking the lead. I have the feeling that she is not really the type to want to be leader of the herd and she now has trouble with Voelie who is very much trying to take over the lead. Voelie is still too young and small but I think in the future Voelie will be the Alpha mare and I think Suri will like that better. Time will tell but I love watching these processes and how the horses interact.
I will now try to catch up on reading all your posts!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing :) Isn't it beautiful how they develop? Please, let us know :) Thanks and best, busy sister :) Caren

    ReplyDelete