Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Using Sick Time

Dear Reader,
I have been pretty sick for the past 2 days with my chronic encephalitis. For that reason, I have not ridden Lyle. But we did try an experiment. I worked, briefly, on leading Lyle by his forelock only. No halter, no neck rope, just his forelock. It took him a few seconds to understand what I wanted. But he thought this experiment through, he was not bothered by it, he was not frightened by it, and once he understood, he led nicely by his forelock as we walked down the driveway. When we were done Lyle was real pleased with himself. I hope to ride him tomorrow. Will report on how he does.
The real point about leading by the forelock only is to help Lyle understand pressure and release. It is also to test and see if the horse truly leads up real free and willingly. This is one of the experiments that Mr. Bill Dorrance teaches in his book. No pictures because we were working alone. Thank you for reading this.
Sincerely,
Penny
Bonners Ferry, Idaho

3 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon Penny! But great that even when you are not feeling well you still can do some other work and challenge Lyle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you have been so sick, Penny, I hope you feel better soon. I think I will try that forelock trick with Ah-D. Sometimes I put a hand on the neck and another on the muzzle when I don't have a halter, but I've never tried the forelock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies,
    Thank you for you kindness.
    Sincerely,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete