Friday, October 7, 2011

Solo Ride

I couldn't take being chained to a desk any longer at work. We have had 5 days now in the mid-high 80's! It is usually much cooler this time of year here in MN. They where talking rain from Friday-next Wednesday so I had to take off and take advantage of the dry sunshiny weather. I did what I could to find someone that wanted to get out of work as well and wanted to go for an afternoon ride. No one could get off or had other plans but I wasn't going to let that stop me. So at 10am I headed home, hooked up, changed, and loaded Marley into the trailer. I have been just dying to try out this park I had heard nothing but good things about. It is a county park so there isn't much if any information online about it. I feel I accomplished a huge feet for me yesterday, got the dually out of the garage and didn't crack a fender, hooked up on the first try, and drove all the way to the park and back without an issue! We met combines with huget heads on the road, had to slow way down and take the shoulder and even a house coming down the hwy. Once to the park I took all the precausions of trying out a new trail, support wraps on all 4s and our cavallo boots. I had heard that the trails had some rigorus hills to them and that it would be rocky so I wanted to be prepared for the worst. The trails where narrow, but fun, I am glad I did prep for the worst cause all that equipment was needed. One thing is for sure I wouldn't take an out of conditioned horse on those trails, up, down, bending, backing, you name it Marley and I did it. There where a few small trees down or limbs that Marley had to push through, it was the only way to get through the trail. It wasn't very well maintained but can't expect much for a county park. In several spots we lost the trail due to all the leaves but either found it again or made our own :) I am sure glad that I was able to enjoy the afternoon on the back of a wonderful partner and also the beautiful fall day the Lord gave us. Sorry for all the pictures but I had to share our day with you the best I could. The last picture was a bit of a sense of humor. Oh almost forgot to share, on one of the hills I had lost my camera, I had an idea in the area it would have fallen off. So I had to get off and hike up the hill and we had to back back down it because there was no room to turn around. But as you can see I found it so I could share our quiet inventure alone. The picure with the water with Marleys ears is where we had to cross to get to the trails on the other side. He hesitated a bit and then went. Oh I should probably tell you where we went...Beaver Falls County Park. It use to be an old town, now it is just a township








Marley & Dana

11 comments:

  1. Dana and Marley,
    I am so glad that you found your camera. The picture are lovely. I am glad that you both had a good ride. The true test of a good horse is how it behaves alone out on an unknown trail. Marley sure passed that test with flying colors.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, I love everything about this post! You enjoyed a beautiful day and stepped outside of your compfort zone very successfully. You can never have too many pictures, and yours bring me right there. What a lovely spot! And what a trooper and partner Marley is! Your warm weather is supposed to head our way, so I am taking a page out of your book and playing hooky Monday afternoon to ride with an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how beautiful, Dana! Thanks for sharing! It is raining cats and dogs here now, and really getting cold. brrrr :) Best Caren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thinking that we will be knee deep in snow again really soon, made the decision easy to leave early :) I do hope that you get this wonderful warm weather with no rain Susan! I hope you get some more nicer days ahead to ride just a few more too Caren. Marley was all calm and cool through the whole ride. I think he enjoyed our alone time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks like a ride I would love too !! what a great job you two -- out on your own exploring-- but come on girl, will you PLEASE stop talking about SNOW !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks like a ride I would love too !! what a great job you two -- out on your own exploring-- but come on girl, will you PLEASE stop talking about SNOW !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure why my comment was repeated so many times sorry about that !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great adventure Dana! I think Marley would take good care of you anywhere! I love changing scenery with Linus. So does he, he gets bored easily! Don't worry about the snow - we had a blast in it last winter ( I'm not a freak but I'm looking forward to it) ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pictures of the scenery. The sign on the boob tree is funny!

    ReplyDelete