Saturday, October 8, 2011

Red's horsenality



Again it has been too long since I wrote. I don't know what it is I am sorry...to busy I guess or is it too lazy? LOL

I worked with all my curlies but I want to talk about Red, since he is very interesting. He is in foster at our farm.
Anyway I started Red's training and boy what a surprise he is. I am also learning about Horsenalities by Linda Parelli VERY interesting and I am learning that Red is a Right brained Extrovert introvert extrovert introvert...yes he is jumping in and out.
He is an awesome teacher I am learning a lot.
However he also made me very insecure since he was so over reacting and sometimes tries to jump out of the round pen. Or turn and kick at me (very scary)
So I got my trainer/barefoor trimmer out and he worked with him...boy he was even worse. He got his front legs over the panels of the round pen, rearing and kicking. But after like 30 minutes a HUGE change and he finally connected with my trainer and followed him and he could move his feet in any direction and every speed.
He watched me working him too and ensured me I was doing a great job....and yes horses can make you very humble. Every horse has his own personality or I need to say horsenality and need a different approach, what we of course already knew, but still. Red is a horsinality I have never meet before, so that makes is very interesting.
My trainer and I both agreed red is a very very very smart horse and he is very good in reading people. It looks like somebody has already worked with him before and did not a very good job. Either Red outsmarted this person or this person was not very nice to him. It probably was a combination of that.

Freedom is doing great, he also had some problems (bucking) but he is a left brained introvert *grin* so another challenge....

Lydiker is still growing and very well behaved so he is of the hook for awhile LOL

Moose...he is a champ what a great sweet pony he is. Still very green but sweet and easy going.

Mallie is being pregnant (I hope) but still hugs and kisses as much as she can get.

Thank for reading, I will keep you updated.

Marion
Hidden Cave Ranch Kentucky

6 comments:

  1. Yes, horses really do make us humble. They are very good teachers. also. But that really is the only way to learn, to be taught by the horse itself. I wish you and Red well.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red is beautiful...looks so much like Linus! Sounds like a smart fella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Penny. We will get there he is very sweet but so smart.

    Donna yes he reminded me of Linus too. Hope he will just as good as him LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marion, he looks stunning :) He reminds me a bit on Dancer, my very smart rescue that passed away. She was more an extrovert left brained horse, extremely smart. I really was afraid the first couple of month because she attacked me with no reason. We needed a lot of simple routines like cleaning the paddock, grooming etc. before she started to trust me. Once she got on this point, she totally changed into the most wonderful and reliable horse personality you can imagine. I am sure you will get there with Red as well :)) Thanks for all your hard work with that sweet rescue boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red is very elegant. Don't you wish you had a crystal ball so that you could look into his past? You have such a good attitude to consider this a learning opportunity! fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to reed an update on your horses Marion. Red sure sounds like a project! Be careful but I am sure you can achieve a lot with such a smart horse!

    ReplyDelete