Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Spectacular Maine Coast Ride

Join Ah-D and Susan on an ocean beach ride!
For six months I have been planning to take my beloved Didder up to Popham Beach on the coast of Maine, and on Sunday my dream finally came true. What a fantastic day we had! I traveled up with my friend Ulla and her beautiful Morgan Gabby.
This was Gabby’s first trip to the ocean, and Ah-D’s second. I knew many of the Mainely Gaiters would be there, but we were astounded to see well over thirty horse trailers in the parking lot! Popham Beach State Park allows horseback riding on the beach October through April, and many horse lovers from around the state were taking advantage of the opportunity. There was so much beach to ride on that I just couldn’t believe it. Everywhere you looked, there were horses in the distance, some large groups of ten or so, and many smaller groups. Ulla and I mostly kept to ourselves, since Gabby has had some bouts of stress colic, and going to the ocean beach is very stressful. Like last year, Didder hated the surf! I didn’t push it, because, what was the point? There was so much beach to ride. We passed clam diggers, seabirds, channels of water, dunegrass, and washed up lobster traps. Some of the tide channels were as deep as Ah-D’s chest. There is a nice-sized little rocky island that can be reached across the clam flats. The salty wind whipped my pony’s mane and forelock. I was in heaven. Many people had finished riding and had their horses down on the sand to roll. After Ulla felt Gabby had had enough, I went back out on the beach with Dani on her Walker Rebel. Ulla was kind enough to catch a snapshot of us heading out. Rebel is one fast horse. On the way back, we let ‘em fly!!! There was plenty of room, and we were down near the ocean where the footing was firm, so I leaned forward and urged Ah-D on. If I thought the wind was whipping before, it was really whipping now! Good thing I was wearning sunglasses so I could see. We ran so far that Ah-D actually volunteered to slow down all by himself. ;0) One cool aspect of that gallop was that Dani was teaching Rebel to hold back, so Ah-D was out in front the whole way. No spooks, no hesitation, just a grand gallop. No pictures or videos of this, ha ha! Dani had to head back…so Ah-D and I went back out for one last hurrah, just the two of us. I took some more video. (in fact, now that I see what I have for pics and video to post...it's probably too much for one post)

I started cantering him near the ocean, but he spooked at a wave…don’t get dizzy watching it, but my camera hand came down to balance me. Don’t worry, I didn’t even come close to coming off, but I did bring him down to a trot after that. My late afternoon pictures show quite the different skyline than my early afternoon ones! I wish I could bottle up some of that fresh, tangy ocean air for you all, because it feels and smells fabulous. If any of you want to ride the ocean beach, remember, October through April in Phippsburg, Maine!

6 comments:

  1. I see none of my videos posted! I will try another time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how wonderful. You really had special moments over there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome Susan -- I did see your video's on the other post -- too cool. makes me miss my ocean days .. and this year with the weather we've had -- there are no mythical 'beech' rides to be had here in Vermont. darn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning pics Susan!! I really loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all, it was truly a wonderful ride, and I was in awe at the grandeur. Betsy, our beeches here in Maine DID survive Irene, and I have been thinking on you on my woods rides. They are very late in changing color. Some of those ocean tide channels were up to the horse's bellies! Just like a Vermont river ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Tilley! What a spectacular experience to have, and again!!! Didder and you have come a long, long way and it's wonderful to be able to share the excitement of your travels together. Thanks for the e to get me here!!!

    ReplyDelete