Monday, October 31, 2011

Winding down

Well show season is winding down here so I'm finding a little bit more time to get things done around the house. I also feel more comfortable just playing around on Theo and going for trail rides instead of schooling him and me. Saturday we went on a really nice trail ride by ourselves which we havne't done in quite some time. He is a little more "hot" then most Curlies since he is crossed with a warmblood and gets excited by all the noises. After he spooked about 3 times I decided he needed to get his attention on something else so we braved the trot in an open field. He did great and wasn't trying anything naughty so I let him canter... it was beautiful! Nice and slow, collected and he was listening to me. We ran up a big hill and by the time we got to the top he couldn't have cared less about the noises. We even saw an 8 point buck that jumped out infront of us. He spooked a little but then dropped his head and walked on.



We also did our first "jumpers" show two weeks ago. He was awesome! We had 1 refusal mostly because 1) I looked down 2) we didn't get to school over fences because I was busy watching the class before warm up.



Here are some photos of us jumping. (don't mind my poor jumping position I'm working on the leg thing)



We had our dressage test first.. Overall decent but we picked up the wrong lead on one of our circles.
This was the jump after I made him go over the one he refused. I think he was secertly telling me off like "Fine you want me to jump, I'll jump!" What is it with Curlies over jumping?



He always picks his feet up so fancy.




This was the first roll top we've ever jumped. He kept looking down at it when we were practicing.









Well that's it for now I have some video of old shows that I'll try to get up now that we can relax a little.





4 comments:

  1. Hehe jumping :) Love the pictures and the action. your horse is WAY UP the obstacle :) Again, I love it! Best Caren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,
    Theo is a beautiful horse. The formal jumping really looks like fun. One day I would like to try it. Thank you for giving me a new goal!
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry,
    Idaho USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like FUN! He's not related to Traveler, is he? :) Penny's right, Theo is very handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think so well I hope not anyway. I have intentions of breeding his niece(Abby) to Traveler next year if it all works out.

    ReplyDelete