Sunday, October 30, 2011

Groundwork with Voelie

Today it was Voelie's turn to do some 'work'. I took her out and first groomed her and tackled her matted mane (again...) it is really long and comes below her neck but it is not all long because she rubbed parts of it and we lost quite a bit with trying to keep the matts out. Maybe at some point I will cut it all but for now I will keep it like this (I love long mane on a horse:)
I took Voelie to stand next to a mounting block. I am not mounting her but I want her to learn to stand next to one and when I lean over her back I want her to learn that she can see me kind of above her back. I practiced this with Voelie, all the time patting on her back and talking to her so that she knew I was there. She did really well and I was very proud of her. She is starting to grow up but is still my baby horse:)

3 comments:

  1. Voelie will make a great mount for you. I started Linus like that too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,
    Voelie is lovely. It is so good that you are taking your time, talking to her and re-assuring her. That is just how I re-started Lyle.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete