Sunday, October 16, 2011

A short ride with Suri

Today I really felt like riding again. It has been a couple of weeks since I rode Suri. Unfortunately noone else was going out riding but my husband was willing to bike along. I also had him hold Suri on the halter and lead line a bit when we got her out of the field. He is not very confident with horses so it is good to practice some times. Suri was great and listened very well to him.
We went for a short ride to the park. It was our first ride without any other horse accompanying us but Suri was great. We only did walk and it was a short ride but it was great. We had some moments where Suri was really relaxed, exactly the kind of feel I was looking for.
Some teenagers playing in the woods did get her exited but no problems at all. We practiced standing still a couple of times. Especially on the way home this causes her to become impatient easily so all the more reason to practice this!
We had a good ride and I am glad my husband was able to come along. Maybe after a couple more rides with a biker along I will be able to ride out alone with Suri too! We are making progress in that direction and especially if she can be relaxed on a ride I feel we are going the right direction with our training!

3 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    Suri and you are doing very well. The walk is the mother of all gaits. If the walk is not right, nothing else will be right. Never under estimate the importance of the walk. Your husband riding his bike along side of you and your mare was such a very good training tool to teach Suri concentration and self confidence. Bikes bother most horses. But your mare handled it with ease. Very good training tool for her.
    Best wishes,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I am glad that you got out on Suri and that she and your husband are bonding. Very good de-sensitizing with the bike along, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Standing is the hard part, right? :) Wonderful training!

    ReplyDelete