Saturday, October 15, 2011

Who Could Ask For More?

Susan and Ah-D in Maine
I had an incredibly awesome ride on my Ah-D-Das this morning. We had quite a good wind blowing, and the sun was dancing in and out among the clouds. The fall colors were a lovely pallet to the eye. I took lots of pictures and several videos to capture the essence of the moments.Here is a nice fall canter, no helmet cam so a bit of a bumpy view. I must sit differently when I hold the camera out because I had to cluck to Ah-D several times to keep him in gait.

I counted to five many times on this ride, not because of OCD but because Ah-D and I had an entourage. They were so well behaved, even the puppies. What a great pack we have to join us! We made some nice water stops that all seven of us enjoyed. I just love how the babbling brooks look, sound and smell in the Maine fall.

We explored a deer trail off of the power line to see if it would lead us somewhere, but I couldn’t trust my directional sense, so I turned Ah-D back. I received a couple of good sapling whips in the arms and face for my efforts, but it was so worth it because I have discovered new trails this way.

I found out on a recent ride that trails to the Secret Garden were a hop, skip and jump over a stone wall from Jason’s Loop #4, so we headed there. Now the Secret Garden is open to my Labs because I don’t have to get there via road. I think The Girls already love this place as much as I do. I will have to send The Secret Gardener some of today’s pictures now that I know his real name. I am so blessed!

I noticed on the way out that many of my hens were not only escaping out onto my lawn (which I knew) but also out into my neighbor’s woods (which I didn’t know). On the way back, I spied this little lovely, right in plan view of the road and five feet away from my neighbor’s mailbox. Twenty-three eggs, and I have no rooster so they will be dog food. What a waste! Now that I know of what is going on outside the fence, I will be a better egg collector at choretime.

This time of year last year, Ah-D and I were on the outs, and I was barely riding him at all, but things have been totally different in 2011. We have a level of trust and enjoyment of each other that makes my heart sing with joy and gladness. Partners with a handsome and loving Curly gelding; who could ask for more? Not me, that’s for sure!

4 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I love to share your joy. When I read about your rides with Ah-D my heart sings also.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    Like you and the handsome Ah-D, I hope to be on the trails one day.
    Thank you for the encouragement. Just reading what you two are doing gives me the will to continue my work with Lyle. Please give Ah-D a big scratch in his favorite itchy place for me.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take such great pictures along the way! I love the picture of the leaf!
    It must be grat to have all the dogs along with you, they look like good company on a ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, looks like another awesome ride. I enjoy the fact about the fall colors and the fall smell, makes you wonder how many people stop and smell the roses along lifes paths. Where is the real hat Cowgirl.

    ReplyDelete