Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ride, ride, ride

I know that I have been very absent for literally months from this blog, but that is not to say that I haven't been very busy with my horses!

I have had the distinct pleasure of riding THREE of my fillies sired by *Sandman all at the same time.  I started *Spiffy Curl under saddle and with the help of Anastasia I also started *Sandman's Serenade and I just put *Shesa Magic Charm back under saddle after she had 18 months off to have a baby.

So *Spiffy Curl was a total star!  I rode and enjoyed her for just about 2 months and now she has gone on to her new home with a family that has allergies to horses - they are thrilled and so am I - a wonderful home for her!

*Serenade is the 4 year old Curly/Arabian that I was working with over the winter - her long standing injury is slowly resolving itself and she is in full time rehab to get her to rebuild the muscle she lost over this injury.  I ride her 4 - 5 days a week, mostly on the trail, which I believe the uneven terrain is best for her to work that muscle.  I took this picture today of her when we were on the trail:
*Serenade is also a STAR - she is practically unflappable, even being so green she goes out alone, out in company, leads the way, follow, it is all the same to her - she has become an absolute favorite of mine to take out riding, this makes her rehab a fun time for me and it will make her an awesome trail horse in the long term.

*Charm is my 6 year old mare from *Sandman and her dam is a Quarab.  I did a TON of training on her for two years and was just starting to show her in dressage and get her ready for endurance last spring when she fell and bruised her hock.  No damage to her hock, but she was not able to be ridden for the rest of last summer, so I bred her and put her out to heal.  She had a lovely filly for us this year and a couple of weeks ago I decided to see if she remembered her training and after just a short lunging session I hopped on her and she was just the same as if she had no time off at all - I am really thrilled with her and I am now riding her several days a week.  *Charm is very well trained to ride - she is for sale at this time, she is a lovely copper dun colour and she will suite an intermediate rider.

So those are my three *Sandman daughters - it was really neat to be riding them all at the same time!

I am also still riding and working on *Tessa and our dressage training - she is going very well and I have been taking lessons with one of my favorite trainers, which is great.

That is it for now - our weather is fantastic and I hope to get some more pictures to share one of these days.
Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

3 comments:

  1. It must be great to ride three doughters of Sandman and see them all doing so well! It does sound like a bussy scedual with all the riding but lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous of all that riding time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! It has been busy, but also pretty neat to be riding these three young horses!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete