Monday, March 18, 2013

Calm Before The Storm?

Not quite for Linus anyway. He wasn't too calm today. Granted, I think it has been about a month since he was ridden. Weather, footing and timing have just kept clashing! We were at least able to put the horses in the front pasture for a much needed frolic on the weekend.
Linus was a bit wound up today when I first brought him out so I turned him around and put him right back in (it's set up as a 60' round pen for now) and we did some free lunging for about 10 minutes until he finally decided to settle in. He walked in to me and then he backed up and yielded his quarters nicely on both sides. So back out we went. I gave him a quick grooming. I'm really trying to not encourage shedding. We had some very mild weather and the last few nights have been back to double digits below zero. I had to lower my cinch on the billet side of the saddle - must be all that extra winter hair.....(Ha ha, ya right Lardo Linus!) Ah well, coming out of winter with a few extra pounds isn't the worst thing that could happen.
Linus was pretty tense at the start of our ride. He is itching to GO! So we did a fair amount of Whoa and back up. It didn't take him long to settle in to me because he knew at any second I could ask him to stop. Once he settled we had a nice, loose trot - I could trot for hours on this horse! We're limited to where we can go right now. There's so much mud but there are still some deep snow drifts too.
I was quite happy when we finished up at an easy walk on a long, loose rein. I hope it's not long before we can keep riding at least 3 or 4 days a week! I've got to get my butt in gear over the separation. I would ride so much more if I could get Linus happily away from Allie long enough to enjoy it!
Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, On
Sent from my BlackBerry® phone powered by Koodo Mobile®.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Linus has spring fever! We've got so much snow I'm not sure when it will all melt and we're looking at another 8 to 12 over the next couple of days. Ugghhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah we are in for a storm here as well Janeen. Yet another one coming up from the States! What happened to the good ole' days of us sending them to you! : )
    This morning was beautiful. Sunny, clear and no wind! Now it's clouded over and the winds are up - c'mon May!!

    ReplyDelete