Sunday, March 3, 2013
Step 1 and Promoting!
A local horseman (QH) stopped by the Post Office the other day while I was loading my car. I had on my RAC Jacket and he asked me what I had on it and what it was all about. He didn't realise Linus was a Curly! He thought Linus was a QH. So I told him about the RAC and what we do and he was pretty impressed by it all. I had a similar situation a few weeks prior when delivering a package to a woman who does dressage. She thought it was a very neat way for a horse community to connect and keep motivated. Go RAC!
I've said before Linus is a horse who gets bored easily. He loves doing games and seeing new things. So I now have a trick training book and we have chosen "bow" as our first trick. This was inspired by my difficulty mounting with the bareback pad - he's just too darn tall!!
So yesterday I went in and we did some liberty work - no halter etc. I tried join-up and in about 30 seconds he said "let's work, you don't need to run me around!" It was funny! I love how he'd rather get down to it. We started with backing and quarter yielding. I hadn't expected to try Step 1 with him so I didn't have any treats with me but he is curious enough that I didn't need any. I will stock up for next time!
Step 1 is to get your horse to reach his head back between his legs. The book suggests a carrot to teach him and use of the cue word (whatever you want it to be - we are using "bow") I slapped my work glove fingers together to get his attention and draw his head down. He was so awesome and followed my hand right between his forelegs! We did it about 3 times! I can use this step to now go to either the 2 legged bow (plie) or 1 legged. They say some horses find one easier than the other so we will just see which Linus prefers to do.
What a fun way to still spend time with Linus when we don't have the footing to do much riding!
Sent from my BlackBerry® phone powered by Koodo Mobile®.
- ► 2015 (83)
- Beautiful Easter Ride!
- HaPpY BiRtHdaY JaNeEn!!!
- That moment, when get that connection makes you wa...
- Happy birthday Janeen!
- Bucky's training part 3
- Happy Bithday Janeen!
- Full on Spring!
- NIght before my birthday ride
- Happy Birthday Weekend Janeen!!!
- wouw .....perfect trial ride part 5!!
- Second After Work Ride of the Week!
- start bomproofing my curly!part 1
- hair, Hair, HAIR and making lemonade
- Janeen's Maine Birthday Ride
- Invitation to a Cyber Birthday Party Ride!
- Cowgirl or Girl fool with her horse.. you decide ;...
- Love the new game!
- Wild, Wild Wind!
- party is over!real training starts today!
- Announcing our 1st RAC Game for April!
- training Bucky
- Trial ride part 4
- Some days are...
- Road to the Horse 2013 in Lexington, KY Totally w...
- Calm Before The Storm?
- Dressage Training Day
- Totally off topic :)
- St. Patrick's Weekend Rides!
- Woody and Peter in the big arena!
- Facebook brings NY and KY,RAC-ers together at trai...
- The Really Great Outdoors
- A Special Day in My Life
- visions of spring
- The longest Winter ever!
- At Helsinki Horsefair with Yuma! Last weekend we...
- Sneaking a ride in before dark!
- Much Needed Weekend
- In Search of Views
- trial riding part 3!
- Peter and Woody - Riding
- Pleasantly Surprised!!!
- Sharing our adopted BLM Curly Mustang Stallion - O...
- Bridge work and Practicing dressage
- Not much going on here - we got 8 inches of snow! ...
- just walking...the dog???or....
- So you think Linus is curious?
- Three Robins and a Chipmunk
- Some Catching Up!!!
- Another Successful Day!
- All Around Firsts!
- Trial Ryding.......
- Step 1 and Promoting!
- Another ride on Woody today
- Busy, Beautiful Saturday!
- Heavy Snow
- Conditioning plans and another driving horse
- ▼ March (58)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- ► 2010 (477)
- ► 2009 (333)