Monday, May 31, 2010

Donna & Linus, Final Post of the Challenge










(Donna's internet is down, so she asked me to post this message to the blog.) Sunday was my last chance to get some more of the mini-challenge done. It was fairly windy so that gave me a chance to get some pictures doing the windy day tasks. I think I had already done it, but now with pictures! First, I started by needing to trim the bridlepath on Linus. This was a tricky task for a windy day. Then I decided to thin his mane out which went really well until he shook his neck and a big chunk came out in the middle. It looked awful so the whole mane came off! He ran and jumped and bucked like mad once I finished. Last week in the heat his neck was soaked so he'll at least be cooler for the summer! His mane was so thick and heavy. It'll grow back nice though. You can really see the different reds, browns and even black with it cut short.
The next task for our windy day was the horse blanket. I think I wrote about it before being made by my Great Aunt. Linus had no fear of it at all. Stood calmly while I put it on and walked him around. Even when the wind blew it up on his quarters he didn't mind.
Our third task was just to clean out his feet. So much is new again for a horse on a windy day and this really showed his growing trust in me.
I didn't have a barrel so we used the water bucket for my barrel to direct him around. I admit it took about 3 tries for him to get the point but he did finally get it! Its a good thing we did our self loading task too because the trailer left early Saturday morning to its new owner. We're still working on the deal for the new one so that was perfect timing last week! My nephew was playing nearby when I went to take Linus out front afterwards. Linus was a bit excited that we were done because he knows we fenced a new spot out front for him. That should have been my first clue to work him more. Once I opened the gate I realized too late Griffin was swinging the training whip and with Linus looking for any excuse he bolted, tripping me in the process. I went down hard and scraped my leg up and rolled my ankle. I'm very colorful looking today! Linus was immediately reminded of gate manners then and when I brought him back in. Actually the light cues from making him square up came in handy because I made him take baby steps upon leaving the front field and entering his regular spot. He got the point because even though I had already laid his grain out for him and he walked to it he stood still with his head at my height and waited for me to take his halter off.
Congratulations fellow competitors and good luck. May has been fantastic and very inspiring. I'm keeping the contest tasks for use when Linus is under saddle!
This post is dedicated to my friend Christina Bridson. She leant me the Dually halter for use in the May mini-challenge. Christina and her family lost their home to fire last Thursday. She follows our accomplishments eagerly and is planning to use her mini horses for therapy in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment