Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Saddle UP

What a busy week of riding! It has been extremely hot and humid, so Billy and I have not even headed out on the trail until 8:00 pm. And, even then, it has been waaarrrrmmmmm!! So, our rides have been short. But, that is good for me - less time for anxiety to build up!

I have to tell you all the story behind this first picture. This is the spot where Billy has dumped me twice! It has been a huge hurdle for me to get by it and actually be riding him! In the past, I would get off and WALK him past this point, then mount. But, this week, I RODE him right on by it. Billy's take on this area is that this is the spot that he wants to eat grass. It is amazing, lush, tall grass! Can't blame him. But, he starts pulling towards this area about 20 feet before we get there. The times I came off, I had his head cranked to the girth and he was walking sideways to get there. Then, we he finally got to where he wanted to be, he would spin around and that is when I came off both times. I have learned that at about 40 feet before this spot, I start getting his attention and work on stopping, backing, sidepassing, circles whatever I can think of. Right before we get to "his" spot, I take a deep breath and say a prayer! hahahahaha! It seems to work! All three times this week, he has walked right by on a loose rein! This is something that I needed to work on because this is the ONLY way to get to the trail.
Sunday - Billy and I headed out. It was such a great ride. I did not canter because it was so hot. We trotted just a little. Mostly we just walked and took in the beautiful day! Here we are on the trail with my little trail buddy Chloe.








Monday was another short ride because of the heat again. We crossed this "bridge" that goes over the water. Not really sure it qualifies as a "bridge". It is part of the road I ride on.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Laura! You must have felt so happy and proud once you got past that point! It's been disgustingly humid here too. We normally work in Celsius but I do know that yesterday we were at 104F plus humidity!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this post very much. You have courage to ride past the point where you have been dumped, especially with style!!! (on a loose rein) Really, Laura, this is super. I have been doing the same as you, hitting the trail once the day cools. Summer is here so early this year, but I ain't complainin'.

    ReplyDelete