Sunday, May 30, 2010

First Post Ever!!!!

Over the past two years that I have been a part of the RAC I have never posted. Typically my mom, Betsy has the camera and I am in the pictures but with this contest I couldn't miss the opportunity for more points. I am a bit competitive just like my mom. The month of May has been incredibly busy for us. It is usually a very busy month every year-fence is getting fixed so horses can go out to pasture, the center begins getting many inquiries about summer lessons for kids since school is almost out but this year it seemed all the more busy because we were also getting ready for a new arrival.

BCF Splash Dancer arrived last week on Wednesday from Lisa Wytiaz in GA and of course here I thought perfect chance to ride someone new!!!! Thursday we spent a bit of time getting to know one another on the ground, just so he knew my boundaries and I knew how he reacted to things. Well I will say he is a smart boy. He has picked up all my cues within one session, knows now that he is not to be thinking about the girls while we are working and all in all is a perfect gentleman. So Friday morning I saddled him up and we had a nice ride in the indoor. He was excellent and incredibly comfortable. I plan to do a few shows with him over the course of the summer.

Yesterday after riding in the rain with my mom-She was on her beautiful Fiona and me on trusty Teasel, I returned to the farm for some ground work with Queen. I have been working with her over the month of May-I will admit not as much as I wanted due to so much else going on but we did get some good lessons in. Of course as I squeezed these sessions with Queen in between lessons when I had a free moment so my mother was never around with the camera. Yesterday afternoon Queen and I showed off all that we had accomplished. Again I do not have any video so that will be coming later in my mom's post but I do have pictures.

Here we are with balloons-as I plan to be showing Queen next year, I am hoping she is going to be the curly I can move up the levels with- these balloons are perfect in testing her ability to deal with loud noises and stay calm. Horse shows are incredibly spooky with golf carts, blowing papers, people every wear, KIDS everywhere doing everything. Of course Queen has the genetics to be in the ring, paternal Aunt to OYY Elektra currently schooling first level, full sister to The Mighty Quinn who is doing fabulous in his new home and out of Lilly who is a been there done it all horse and Mead's Chocolate Chip who of course can do it all.









We then show off our skill leading over the bridge.










We then check out the flag, which I swung all over the place around her and rubbed it all around her body. Much like many other members in her family she feels the need to "poke" it with her nose which is the sure sign there is nothing scary about it.





We also backed our thirty steps, lunged at a walk trot and canter, turned on our haunches and forehand without touching although she does it with me touching too because I wanted her to know the feeling on her side so when I am on her back she will already know the cues making it easier to teach some of the more complex dressage moves we will be needing. All of those tricks are on video so will have to wait to see but we did accomplish standing square and have a picture of that.

I didn't get a chance to get on Queen's back yet bu it will be happening soon. She is making great press with her ground driving. Another thing I had done with her was try a new bit. I was originally using an eggbutt snaffle but decided to try her in Elektra's frenchlink and she went marvelous in it. She is so light and responsive that I think that is going to be the bit of choice for her as well.

Today we are off for a long ride with Fiona and Teasel which is a postponed birthday ride for my mother-the weather has not been cooperating.

Enjoy your day!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Zoe, what a handsome fella. He will reward you with many wonderful rides and beautiful foals. Best wishes, Angie

    ReplyDelete