Monday, May 31, 2010

I'm back with more to report

As high priestess of procrastination.... here's more challenges and tasks for May.


At the very beginning of the month -- my main personal goal was to find deep water for Fiona. If you recall, we did find some in a little brook down the bank a few miles from home. But - I really wanted to take her to the river crossing on the floodplains. This is the trip that was postponed several times.. then the evening before the big day -- Zoe suggested an even better journey -- walking the Williams River. We did that last year with Keri and Teasel -- mainly due to the bridge being out and having no other choice to trot home (well... we could have I suppose gone the traditional route by road). We were not sure we'd find deep, deep water though -- BUT it would be fun.. Vermont has more rivers than lakes and ponds -- so our big body of water has to be a river or brook.




Sunday, we crossed the Bartonsville Covered Bridge -- went down through someone's yard. We asked permission and of course the man had to come over and watch us urge our horses down the steep bank into the water. I am sure he was confused as to why we had to get into that particular body of water -- not realizing.. we were intending to walk the horses the several miles to the next covered bridge (that is the one under repair).











The Williams River was beautiful .. weather vacillated from warm to chilly... lots of wind --


The river varied from shallow fast running water to deeper slow running -- beautiful scenery.






There's the bridge we just crossed in the background.



I am keeping my eye out for the deep water..







Just to be curious -- we head over this way -- and eureka !!!! ... we find our first deep water . I was too surprised to take a video once I got into it :) We did get in and out of the deeper parts several times and Zoe got some video of some of it -- the camera she uses does not have audio for some reason... or it's just a glitch in my computer. You can see me trying to get my fading camera to work. poor thing -- too many trips, too many photo's.








Too much fun :) At some point I will enter the full trip-0-logue on my farm blog if you wish to see more of it.


Pretty much every where Fiona and I have been this month is all new to her .. so we definitely managed to see new places ! We walked and trotted our 15 miles through the woods and mountains -- crossing the highway for the very first time.




And she crosses another bridge ! I know I can only count this task once.. but she is quite talented -- water and bridges are her strong points I think (and balloons)





And I am so busy bragging about myself -- I still have not done Zoe's video's... yikes .. so be on the look-out for ANOTHER post from me later today.. as I don't want to be the blame for Zoe losing points !!


Fiona is a very good horse -- I did feel a twinge of guilt for leaving Keri behind on our big adventure but I do enjoy Fiona immensely. Zoe thinks on June 1st -- I'll go back to riding Keri - but I am dedicated to getting Fiona in shape for LONG journeys. She needs to get out onto the sidewalks next I think :)


Enjoy for now ~

No comments:

Post a Comment