Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Linus!!

I think its kind of funny that the first horse I ride in years is on Linus' 1st Birthday. And it was a curly too. Karalee thinks bonus points should be awarded for that, lol! I met her at the farm where she is keeping Hunter, its also the place I took Linus for a play date back in December. We did some groundwork, she refreshed me on some of the techniques and it gave me a chance to get comfortable with Hunter and vice versa. We put the saddle and hackamore on him and once he was ready to go up I got and it felt soooo good. Now, for the points part of this. What did I learn; an emergency stop, a back-up and my favourite was to make him pivot and disengage his hindquarters. I only walked on him today, but we walked across a tarp, wove around some cones, walked between some barrels and large balls. It was great. It was nice spending time with Karalee and Hunter. I also was able to borrow a DVD on Reining. So, once I get a chance to watch that I will be able to get my discipline points too. I had sent Karalee a copy of our challenge and she has shared with a few other people too. It's really getting around and may even become a summer activity for some local youth. How cool is that!?!
It was a great day. I'm going to go update my log sheet, still covered in Owen scribbles, set some goals for the week and give Linus another Birthday apple!




4 comments:

  1. Donna,
    Great post. Linus sounds like a real sweetheart. Give him an extra Birthday apple for me.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie, I love your Curly J posts. You guys sound like a great team. The horse I am riding above is Hunter. My Linus was just 1 yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweeeeet, Donna! Are you going to be riding Linus English or Western? I talk about my RAC challenges, too, and sometimes I can get my horsie friends on board. I even got my son to jump his Haffie over a log on a trail and walk down a stream. One of my friends has agreed to go 15 miles with me next weekend AND join me to swim our horses in a lake. Wish me luck!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD LUCK!!! That sounds awesome!! I am planning to ride him western. I also learned while riding Hunter yesterday how used I am to neck reining (he isn't as of yet but it is in Karalee's plans for him) I have some interest in the treeless saddles too but need to some more practice before buying one!!

    ReplyDelete