Thursday, May 27, 2010

Linus says "Make My Day"

Please assume my pictures are in the reverse order. I'm still working on beating my internet connection with loading things up!! Videos will not be happening for me!!
I decided today that I was going to use my 2 hour lunch break to accomplish some tasks with Linus or at least repeat some previous ones that I wasn't able to get pictures of and then try to get some this time around! I started off with what is the last picture and that was to bridle Linus from my knees. Not a great picture, but you get the idea!
Then I directed him over a "jump", I don't know if it will count as one because it really is just a log fence post. But, keep in mind Linus is a yearling(just!) and this is the only size jump I am willing to put him over right now. He didn't want to cross it the first 2 times, even though he has many times before, but once he figured out what I wanted he happily....or looking at the picture again, sleepily, obliged.
Then I decided to wake him up a bit and practice the trot, stop square and back up. We haven't had a whole lot of luck with this one so far. I have a hard time getting Linus to trot beside me. I have no problem when I ask for it when I'm driving. But once I got him up to a trot beside me today he halted with me, squared within a few seconds and then I was able to back him with just halter pressure 3 fluid steps. I was very proud of him. I was not able to get pictures of this though. But I might try it with a helper on the weekend.
Now, for the biggie!! I was about to take him from the paddock we were working in to his pasture out front. To get there we walk by the stock trailer (you can see it from the pictures below where he is jumping the massive log). I had all but ruled out the self-loading because the last time we loaded Linus was to go a short distance to a Parelli play date (at the arena where I was riding Hunter) and it took about 30mins to get him to go on. He was better on the way home but still hesitant. My motivation came from Dad having recently sold the stock trailer to get a newer one. So, I figured I better do it because I don't know when this one is leaving. I opened the back door, the rattling doesn't bother him because I often tie him to the trailer. He ate some grass at the back door then turned around. I led him back to it said "C'mon!" and dropped the line, he didn't even hesitate, he walked on like it was part of his daily routine!!! He went to the front, sniffed around then turned around and came back to the door but still continued to investigate. This was why I was able to get some pictures, because he stayed on for a bit. I was cursing my camera phone, it was so funny. I'm standing there going "come on, come on, come on I want these pictures sooo bad!!" Mostly so I can look at them now, hours later, and still believe it happened!! I just hoped I didn't bruise his neck when I so enthusiastically patted and praised him!! LOL.
I'm hoping to conquer a few more challenges tomorrow on my lunch break. I'm looking forward to it. I also purchased a leather punch so that I can adjust his harness to fit him now. I'm so proud of my gorgeous boy. He's an absolute treat to be with!!






2 comments:

  1. You must be so very proud of Linus, Donna! Excellent job on the loading, wow! I bet Lynn is thrilled to have found Linus such an excellent home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Susan!! The funny thing about the title of that post is his name is 'HCH Make My Day'
    This competition has been so great in helping me to train him!

    ReplyDelete