Sunday, May 23, 2010

Good Times

As I write this we are in the middle of a very hot and humid long weekend here in Canada. I have had loads of positive feedback about the newspaper article which featured Linus and the RAC. There are so many more people in this area now that are aware of a hypoallergenic breed of horse. And such a wonderful breed too. I was going to save my post for tomorrow, but I had some down time while the steaks grill so I figured I might as well. I’m very excited about some of our accomplishments in the last few days. But, first HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINUS!!! HCH Make My Day officially turns 1 tomorrow. My little boy is growing up so fast!! (Both of them actually, Owen will be 2 in 3 weeks!!) My nephew was out for the weekend again and thought that he and his Grandma should make Linus an apple pie for his Birthday...she didn’t agree but I told him he could give Linus an apple tomorrow. Speaking of Griffin, my 7 year old nephew, he is to credit for the pictures found in my post today. He was around and nobody else was so he very willingly stepped up to the task. I love how much he loves being around Linus.

Now, on to the challenge accomplishments!! Yesterday we practised backing up; Linus is comfortably at about 5 steps. He is getting really good at standing square too. I am not going to push the backing up though because he is still a very young horse and I don’t want to mess him up. At this stage the reward for doing the right thing is more important than how many times I can make him do it! Today I picked up and tried out the Monty Roberts Dually halter. A neighbour very generously let me borrow it to try it out. It does work and there is a picture of Linus wearing it but he seems to still respond better to the Parelli halter. But at least I tried it and now I know that!! (its my “try a new bit”)

Now for the big one and something I had honestly discounted for the Mini-challenge but was keeping for future use. I picked up all 4’s from one side!!! It is not one of his favourite things to do from each side and for that reason I have purposely been spending more time handling his feet. I did it once with nobody around just for the heck of it. Then Griffin came along and we were able to do it again. It was a bit smoother the first time, but at least I did get pictures and was able to repeat safely!!

Not part of the challenge for the RAC but a personal challenge was to get Linus comfortable with the spray bottle. I bought one at the dollar store so I don’t waste my fly spray getting him used to spraying. I filled it with water and made it less of a mist and more towards stream. I wasn’t mean with him, I just talked to him and kept spraying him until he stood still while I did it. He started the licking and chewing and dropped his head. He won’t let me circle him yet with the bottle but I was exceptionally pleased with today’s progress. It took about ¾ of the spray bottle and he was cooled off at the end at least! Its been so hot we couldn’t believe it today when we sat back and thought that only a couple of weeks ago we had hail and snow!!

Oh, I just had more great news. I heard back from Karalee and she has agreed to let me ride her horse tomorrow. I’m very excited about it, nervous too. The last 2 on-horse experiences I had were not good. It will be good for me. So, not only will I personally gain, I will get points and the horse I will be riding, Hunter, is also a Curly!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment