Saturday, May 29, 2010

Too much to do -- so little time :)

Here it is almost the end of May... I'll try to sneak in a few posts in the blog recounting a few of our challenge adventures. We've had unusual weather (yesterday I was clearing trees along the fencelines downed by high winds, lightening. hail and tornado's !!! ). The weather is crazy -- from quite chilly to sweltering hot. Also, internet down for a few days - bummer. Zoe has been so busy with lessons and preparing for shows... she never did get a chance to blog -- but there is still what - 3 more days ? Plus my camera... well she's one tired banged up girl.

Fiona and I have had to postpone our big river journey twice - once for rain, once for incredible HEAT ! I did not want to ask her to trot that many miles in that kind of heat... poor little girl. We are going to make one more try for tomorrow... fingers crossed.

We've been going out in the evening - since there seems to be so little time during the day. I'll confess... as Zoe has taken out a few first time under saddle girls - I've been riding Keri during those times out as she is a great nurse maid security blanket mare :) I do love Fiona.. but I still miss Keri a LOT !! I will repeat my words from my first post - if it weren't for this May challenge, I am pretty sure I would still be procrastinating about riding a different mount.

I mentioned to Zoe the other night as we were trotting in a meandering sort of way down the dirt road --- I have not consistently ridden a green horse in a long time -- it's a lot more work as far as keeping this little girl straight, focused and forward. I keep wondering when she's going to be capable of some long distance power trots out.. The other evening she did trot almost the entire 6 miles - but with urging and not yet on the buckle. She is still using a lot of energy looking (Keri can look, assess, and trot fast all at the same time :) ) It will come in time.



We practice a lot of our challenges on the roads and trails... stopping here and there to back, either in a straight line or in an imaginary "L". Using leg, we trot laterally back and forth down the road or trail or do a little side stepping here and there. Fiona can now trot downhill pretty confidently but is still building up her canter. There are a couple of spots on the dirt roads loops where I can work on her picking up the canter leads I ask for and she has gotten pretty consistent at departing into the canter in 2 strides.

With so little recreational time available, I can't bring myself to spend it in the ring... On one of our trails, we come out of the woods into a field and there we do some fun schooling with the night chirping and first evening star.





Fiona is also learning to be a steady camera girl... as we get some dusk footage of our bushy leafy trail.










On one of the chillier days -- we got in our 'bridge' work... which we did in harness -- just for something different since Fiona is also slated to become my future cart horse. I hope she will cruise as well as Nimue !!



























The poles are arranged so she has to walk and trot a clover leaf pattern with the bridge in the center. She actually did not like this much but settled in nicely at the end. Lots of thinking !!





We did accomplish one of the easier tasks on the challenge list -- bath time !! And the two girls surely needed some freshening up. Sudsing up and rinsing -- then the four hooves from one side trick.












































































Now -- here's something I have been wanting to do since Fee and I became saddle partners.... she has a huge thick bushy mane... time for her to lose it. It's too hot for her on our faster rides out and I don't like when my fingers get tangled in mane. besides- she's adorable with a roached mane.. just like her Mom was.












This has got to feel SO much cooler !












Zoe and I complete the hoof challenge....



























I did from both sides just for fun...











I know if I had been posting on a more regular basis .. you RAC readers would not have to wade through so much info all in one long entry.... I am glad everyone else in really enjoying this challenge... I think Denise has accomplished what she set out to do .. --- we are all trying new stuff, blogging often, and me-- astride a NEW horse still.

Three more days to get in more points !!

Enjoy ~

No comments:

Post a Comment