Saturday, May 15, 2010

Horse√ Buggy√ Harness√

It has been a quiet few past days. I do have some video to upload but my internet connection isn't good enough for it to load before timing out. So, my husband has offered to load it at work for me. So if you come across a post of mine that is only video and no comment (what a switch that will be!!) you'll know what is going on.
I had Linus drag the hoses again the other day. He is getting so much better at having them drag behind him and isn't getting upset when they touch his legs when we turn. I also had him go over our "jump" on the end of a line. I use the term very loosely. He's not jumping anything "like its on fire" (though, maybe someday...) but for his age it's all I am willing to put him over right now. It's just an old log from what used to be a log fence. In future RAC years maybe we'll be flying over jumps but for now a log will suffice!!
I also taught Linus to neck rein, well, I'm more than sure its not a completely learned skill as of yet for him but I was impressed by how fast he picked it up nonetheless. I used the bitless bridle, attached the reins and pulled the off rein to create pressure on his neck. Once he started to come my way (I was obviously on the ground :] )I released the pressure. We repeated a few times on each side. I did have video but my husband greatly pitied me for the quality of it and said he would help out in that respect. I might start using his fence posts as a stand for the camera and then editing out the parts I don't need. We had a great week and he got to rest yesterday and today.
As you all know, I got a great deal on my cart and buggy. I have been so extremely fortunate as to happen on another great deal with some single drive harness!! The woman bought it, had a friend fit it to her horse, they removed it and that was the only use it has seen!! It was located about halfway between our place and Lynn's (Homefire Curly Horses) so I drove the rest of the way and had an awesome but way too short visit with her and Brian. She approved of my harness which made me feel good because it's tack that I have never even looked at before!! I got to meet Dory, the gorgeous rescue newfie, and their new filly foal. She's a feisty but very gorgeous little girl!! Definitely planning a longer visit in the hopefully not too distant future.
If the weather cooperates I will attempt fitting the new harness tomorrow. My Dad has dealt with harness in form of racing and pulling before so he will help me. He's actually getting excited to have a driving horse again, its letting us connect in a whole new way. We've always shared a love of animals, especially with our herd of Angus (we started it together) but now he has a chance to teach me all over again and I'm loving it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment