Sunday, January 20, 2013

A drive in the snow




Well, today our drive took us outside and into the real world.  I have to give credit to my dear hubby for his help..the photos he took, and esp the help he gave me getting my carriage into the field that borders our house. The field has a nice steep 4 ft bank, and getting a 250+lb carriage into the field, with a nice slick coating of snow and ice was no easy task....but...after 45min of planning, failing and rethinking our plans, we finally did it!  The reward was well worth the effort...I got Legacy outside in the real world, with all the distractions the real world has. Legacy was fairly fresh, so I ground drove her a bit...she was a bit wiggly when I presented her to the carriage to hitch ....you don't back a horse between the shafts-you position them square in front of the carriage and then pull the carriage forward over her back to hitch. The "square" part was a time consuming challenge...but we did succeed.
After driving a while in the field, my neighbor and dear friend and "gator" (navigator) joined me and we drove a while.  The type of driving I do, requires a "gator" in certain phases of competition. Choosing a good gator is almost as tough as choosing a spouse!  A gator should be about the same weight, smart, capable, not easily rattled, being a seasoned horse person is not always the most important. Alice and I have lots of common quirks and we travel together well. This is the first time we have used Team Creekside's new carriage and we had a blast!  I have so much training to do, for my horse and myself.  Alice gets to ride along.
My first goal of the year is to get my horse in good condition. This will entail lots and lots of driving. I hope you don't get bored! I really enjoy sharing my journey.

UPDATE.....I am involved in the world of carriage driving. I am interested in many faucets of driving. Driven Dressage, play days, pleasure drives all appeal to me. Combined Driving Events are 3 day events that have you compete in Driven Dressage, a marathon phase and a cones course. During the marathon phase, you are required to have a "gator"  more properly know as a "Navigator"  this gator helps guide you on the marathon course (usually around 6 miles). The gator is there to help you in case of emergency.  Old world terms for the modern gator are "grooms"  If you drive a team, a groom/gator is required when ever your team in hitched and on the move. 4 in hand's require 2 grooms/gators.  It is always wise to have a groom/gator or just a competent helping hand when driving anytime. Accidents can happen fast, and having help is much more necessary with horse and carriage, than horse and saddle.

5 comments:

  1. Linda, I didn't know that about "gators"! And I didn't know there were competitions for driving! Sounds like you're going to have a good busy year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts and hearing about your journey this year with Legacy. Sounds like you have some wonderful plans with her. Every time i look at these pictures i can see the resemblance to Stella. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Linda! Do you need special tires to ride in the snow like this? Maybe you also need a sleigh!! =] What does a gator do? What is their job? Loved seeing your pics! You and your hubby made quite the effort to get out...GREAT JOB!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi gals, updated my blog for info about the "gator" my gator is simply the BEST because she also put herself in charge of preparing all the food for our trips/competitions. One less thing for me to worry about! She is about my age, near retirement, can take time off work if she wants to, and we have several similar "quirks" like eating lunch at 11am instead of noon! She also helps plan our course on the marathon course, the turns, the speed, the markers we much follow...there is a whole lot to being a gator, esp a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for the update and the additional comments. I always thought that marathon driving looked so exciting, and each year my husband Dana and I go and watch the draft and draft pony driving competitions at the fairs. We are seriously thinking about getting involved in this together, so I really appreciate all the information you are sharing. I've been casually internet researching carriages, driving, and driving sports and competitions to gain knowledge. Don't think it would work to have Dana as my gator though...he outweighs me by 200 lbs!

      Delete