Saturday, January 26, 2013
Bigfoot Sighting in Eastern Ontario!!
What a frigid week of weather we have had here!! Riding before today was out of the question. Not only would I have frozen (even more than I already was!) it would have been too dangerous to risk letting Linus get too warm and then possibly chilled.
Today warmed up enough for a light ride and we added some adventure to it too by seeking out Bigfoot!! Harold has been after me since he found out I live in Canada to try to get a sighting and pictures. Today was that day Harold and I must say we had some success....I think!!!
My beautiful boy was ready and very willing to get out today. I started just in the paddock but he was a bit miffed with me for even considering that!! He wanted OUT!! He and our herd bull, "MAC" have worked things out and are happily sharing space right now. They kept breaking the fence between their pastures so we just left them be as long as it was safely working. Linus and Mac had to work out their dominance issue and it seems they have done just that! Phew!! Makes things much easier and it gives Allie, our Arab mare, some company when I have Linus out.
So anyway, I dismounted and led Linus through the gate and clambered not so gracefully back onto my big boy. What a reach getting up there!! I love doing the gate from his back because I like the challenge it gives but the packed snow has made it way too much of a reach so it wasn't possible. I do have to give credit to my awesome man, the driveway was a bit slippery in places. There was some ice that was covered in dirt; not enough to risk a slip (or we wouldn't be there!) but he shortened his stride, I gave him his head and he was so careful! He looked at me as if to say he didn't like having us here but, bless his big heart, he did his darndest to make sure he kept us safe. This is the first time I have ever had him on footing like this while in the saddle and he impressed me very much! My husband was there too for picture taking and he also commented on how careful Linus was.
Here we are searching for some signs of Bigfoot! As you can see, Linus is somewhat relaxed about this adventure - maybe he and Bigfoot have already met???
We have our lasso in hand on the saddle ready to rope him in should we get close enough! My husband suggested bringing along the .22, but I believe that Bigfoot is the friendly sort. I think he secretly looks out for our farm and keeps an eye out to make sure the coyotes stay away from our calves!
Here we take a rest from our perusing for a chuckle and change of direction. No Bigfoot to the East, so maybe we will try the West.
"Oh Bigfoooot!!! Come out, come out, wherever you are!!"
Linus came around that brush up above and his head went up and his ears forward. His step quickened and he let out a snort. My big red steed had spotted something. Or smelled it, at this point I wasn't too sure because I couldn't spot whatever it was that he had! I kept him steady and let him follow his instincts.
Look closely in the picture below, see the dark hair through the trees?? I always thought Bigfoot was dark brown, but maybe his coat turns darker in the winter to help him blend in on the dark nights in the bush??
We inched closer as quietly as we could to see if we could get a closer glimpse - Bigfoot is known to be exceptionally camera shy!!
In true Bigfoot fashion, he ducked away just as my camera was ready to go so this was as close as I could get before he just...disappeared!! Who would have thought that Bigfoot (if it really was him!) has such curly hair too!! And keep in mind that while I do own a Curly, he is smooth coated and sorrel at that! Not black!! Therefore this could not be an imposter! Make what you will from the photo, but to us it appears that this is possibly the top of his head and shoulder?? Maybe as he was turning to duck away??
Sadly, there were no prints of Bigfoot left in the snow. The thaw then freeze that we had has left the snow very packed and hard so nothing is leaving tracks. Maybe next weekend when it is supposed to be more mild out we can trek out and look for more signs!
My trusty young "stud" (he's a gelding, but he likes the nickname) is ready and willing for more and he loves being on a mission!!
Thanks for coming along on our wild, wonderful and slightly dangerous journey!!
Donna, Linus and Bigfoot!
- ► 2015 (83)
- Plow the trail, Mom! Found Big Foot(s) too!
- First Rain, Then Snow
- Danger in the Alps! That thing's gonna eat me!
- Brief Admin Message
- Baby steps
- Foster George is awesome
- Snow gone, a short ride and promoting curlies!
- Cows, injections, and fun times
- Going Bitless Is A Breeze
- Back in the saddle, minus the saddle
- Hats, a dog and a warm day!
- Saturday night i had my first night time beac...
- Suspicious shadow behind trees
- I'm here, I'm here!
- Chilly Weather and Macaroni Hands
- Was Bigfoot Watching?
- Harold!!! Sasquatch in Maine!!!
- Bigfoot in europe?
- BIg Foot in Eastern Ontario on Saturay
- Hello From Eastern Ohio
- Bigfoot Sighting in Eastern Ontario!!
- It's a heat wave!
- What an amazing way to spend a Saturday!
- Sooooo Cold
- I am already a failing foster mom...will I fail ag...
- busy week
- DE Shya - my soulmate
- Joining the Fun, Cause Susan Says So! =]
- First howdy!
- Mom, Can We Go, Too?
- Our Stallion Lydiker his second ride....unbelievab...
- The good the bad and the ugly
- Time to get back on the horse
- ride today
- Not fit for (wo)man nor curly beasties
- Hello, I am signing in to say "hello all!" I'm ...
- Hello, fellow Curly Lovers!
- A drive in the snow
- Greetings from freezing cold Finland! I'am takin...
- RAC: Curlies from Switzerland, check! :)
- Wish we could have done a "cyber-ride" - do cyber ...
- Meet Zachary, Jacob, and our Curly Flock Farm
- It Just Seemed Right
- Beautiful day , first ride in 6 months with Warrio...
- Because off the snow and smoothness we are not cap...
- Snowy Cyber Ride!
- "Ride With Me" and all my curlys!
- Pickles aka Miss Pix
- Ride With Me Down on the Farm!
- Announcing "Ride-with-Me" Cyber Ride Today!
- More and more comfort!
- Greetings from Pennsylvania!
- Brief Admin Interruption =]
- Comfort for my horse - a little "surprise"
- Hi from rainy WET Kentucky
- Introduction true Curly Horse Rescue
- Glad to be a part of the RAC for 2013!
- Hello Curly people from all over the world
- 2013 Introduction
- Bottom Line: Communication!
- 2013 RAC- Many more lessons to be learned!
- Hi there, I am Caren, the ghostwriter for Peter, m...
- Meet Abby and Theo
- Getting ready to ride...
- I AM SO EXCITED!!!!
- What a Start!!
- Great Fun!
- Let's Go Fellow 2013 RACers; Curlies Rock!
- Hello RAC 2013 ! My daughters Katie (14) and Char...
- Good Morning RAC !!!
- Fun and Exciting Year
- Hello World?I hope I'm doing this correctly! My na...
- Let the games begin!! Welcome to the Ride-A-Curly ...
- ▼ January (78)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- ► 2010 (477)
- ► 2009 (333)