Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

My name is Tammy Fitzner, and I live in Livingston, TN and I can't wait to start hitting the trails this year!!! My back is finally well enough for me to ride at all speeds, and my favorite speed is turbo on my Curly horse, DE Shya.  You know, that speed you hit after the ground eating canter, when the wind begins to whistle in your ears and all you can think is "Lord, please don't let a squirrel or deer run out in front of me because it will surely hurt!!"  A little over a year ago I was told that I may never ride horse again because my back was in such bad shape.  When I went to the chiropractor he told me that my spine was twisted in a corkscrew and that in all probability I would have to have surgery done on my lower back.  In his words "your back is crap".  I had taken a nasty fall off a horse 3 years prior which ruined my lower back, followed by numerous other falls which proceeded to ruin my neck, upper back and one that caused my hip to pop out of place. I endured painful manipulations for 4 months during which time I was not allowed to bend, twist, lift or pretty much do anything other than sit in an effort to avoid surgery.  All the while, my goal was to see if I could ride horse over Labor Day weekend.  I was finally given the go ahead but was told I would have to wear a corset style back brace (which I will have to wear for the rest of my life when I ride) and could only ride at a walk.  I rode that weekend and haven't looked back since, working my way up from riding at a walk, to a slow trot, to an extended trot and now a canter.  Throughout it all my Curly mare, Shya, has kept me safe and has taught me how to completely trust a horse again.   We have grown together and have established a mutual trust.  She is my horse soul-mate and I am so glad I am able to spend time on the trails with her.  What is really great is that we also own her sister, DE Woehnta (or Pickles as she is called), who is my husband's horse soul-mate!  Here's to lots of hours on the trails!!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow Tammy what a story!! I'm so happy you're able to ride again! Horseback riding is very therapeutic, do you think it helps you? Do you ride bareback to help your lower back and hips?? I'm really curious is all. I have a bad hip and lower back and when it's really sore I find nothing loosens it like riding bareback. Just wondered if you get the same result? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, horseback riding is therapeutic for me also. And like you, it also loosens things up for me. A lot of times when my lower back or neck is out, riding puts it back in for me! I dare not ride bareback, tho it is one of my favorite ways to ride, because I have to be careful not to fall again. If I landed on my lower back it would be catastrophic. I have been told "whatever you do, don't fall". I am so glad that riding gives you physical relief also and am glad you are also still able to ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, what a story! I knew horseback riding is good for the soul, but turns out it is good for the back, too. Like you, I also enjoy bareback riding. I used to enjoy going fast all the time too, but getting thrown hard once was enough to slow me down. Now I am back up to enjoying speed again, but its been a long haul. Can't believe all those falls didn't mar your confidence. Love your twin horses and looking forward to hearing of your adventures and healing rides. Actually, now that I think of it, riding does cure a headache for me, so why not a backache for you and Donna? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this sounds so painful! So glad you found your horse soul mate in Shya, isn't that a wonderful feeling! Curious to follow your adventures! Best Caren

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad for you that you are able to ride again!

    ReplyDelete