Monday, January 28, 2013
Once in a while, I get all fired up again about putting Ah-D to a cart, and this time it happened to hit me right smack dab in the middle of January. This looks fairly simple, but getting my Curly to understand that he is supposed to be out in front of me has been quite the undertaking. He had an epiphany on Sunday.
He looks nice and relaxed in this photo, the way I would like him to be, with a nice forward cadence to his walk. You can see that I am working hard to keep up with him. I ground drove our Haflinger first, thinking that Allie is a slowpoke, so it wouldn't be too much of a big deal, but if you imagine walking as fast as you can through fairly deep snow (or a sandy beach far up from the water line), that is what it was like. I was reasonably tuckered by the time I had done the trail loop with Allie, and so by the time I worked Ah-D, well lets just say I didn't practice "whoa" and "stand" just for his benefit.
Here I am gasping for breath. Most of the time I had to hold him at the stand, because he was quite excited and did not want to stand still, but a couple of times he nailed it. We have made huge progress with the ground driving, but we still have a ways to go, for sure. I realized when I was doing this that I really want to be driving from Ah-D's left (because I am right handed??), so several times I switched over to the other side. Same with the "stands," a couple of times on the gee-rounds (circle to the right) and haw-rounds (circle to the left) Ah-D sailed smoothly on through it, and sometimes he was confused. Once when he was confused it was driver's error; I called a haw-round a gee-round - ooops. When he (or I!!) get confused, we stop, calm down, and do a "do-over." The only time I let him trot was when we were back out on the road. By the time I have him in a cart, I am hoping to build some muscle and up-my metabolism a bit. That, Ladies and Gents, is what is known as a win-win situation. Harold, I had no time to look for Bigfoot on this outing because I was too busy concentrating on my pony, but I promise to try to be more aware next time we give it a go.
- ► 2015 (83)
- Plow the trail, Mom! Found Big Foot(s) too!
- First Rain, Then Snow
- Danger in the Alps! That thing's gonna eat me!
- Brief Admin Message
- Baby steps
- Foster George is awesome
- Snow gone, a short ride and promoting curlies!
- Cows, injections, and fun times
- Going Bitless Is A Breeze
- Back in the saddle, minus the saddle
- Hats, a dog and a warm day!
- Saturday night i had my first night time beac...
- Suspicious shadow behind trees
- I'm here, I'm here!
- Chilly Weather and Macaroni Hands
- Was Bigfoot Watching?
- Harold!!! Sasquatch in Maine!!!
- Bigfoot in europe?
- BIg Foot in Eastern Ontario on Saturay
- Hello From Eastern Ohio
- Bigfoot Sighting in Eastern Ontario!!
- It's a heat wave!
- What an amazing way to spend a Saturday!
- Sooooo Cold
- I am already a failing foster mom...will I fail ag...
- busy week
- DE Shya - my soulmate
- Joining the Fun, Cause Susan Says So! =]
- First howdy!
- Mom, Can We Go, Too?
- Our Stallion Lydiker his second ride....unbelievab...
- The good the bad and the ugly
- Time to get back on the horse
- ride today
- Not fit for (wo)man nor curly beasties
- Hello, I am signing in to say "hello all!" I'm ...
- Hello, fellow Curly Lovers!
- A drive in the snow
- Greetings from freezing cold Finland! I'am takin...
- RAC: Curlies from Switzerland, check! :)
- Wish we could have done a "cyber-ride" - do cyber ...
- Meet Zachary, Jacob, and our Curly Flock Farm
- It Just Seemed Right
- Beautiful day , first ride in 6 months with Warrio...
- Because off the snow and smoothness we are not cap...
- Snowy Cyber Ride!
- "Ride With Me" and all my curlys!
- Pickles aka Miss Pix
- Ride With Me Down on the Farm!
- Announcing "Ride-with-Me" Cyber Ride Today!
- More and more comfort!
- Greetings from Pennsylvania!
- Brief Admin Interruption =]
- Comfort for my horse - a little "surprise"
- Hi from rainy WET Kentucky
- Introduction true Curly Horse Rescue
- Glad to be a part of the RAC for 2013!
- Hello Curly people from all over the world
- 2013 Introduction
- Bottom Line: Communication!
- 2013 RAC- Many more lessons to be learned!
- Hi there, I am Caren, the ghostwriter for Peter, m...
- Meet Abby and Theo
- Getting ready to ride...
- I AM SO EXCITED!!!!
- What a Start!!
- Great Fun!
- Let's Go Fellow 2013 RACers; Curlies Rock!
- Hello RAC 2013 ! My daughters Katie (14) and Char...
- Good Morning RAC !!!
- Fun and Exciting Year
- Hello World?I hope I'm doing this correctly! My na...
- Let the games begin!! Welcome to the Ride-A-Curly ...
- ▼ January (78)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- ► 2010 (477)
- ► 2009 (333)