Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Joining the Fun, Cause Susan Says So! =]

Good Afternoon Everyone!

What fun it is to wake up each morning to so many new posts! I am loving it! Seems this year's 2013 team is off to a great start. I would like to say up front to all of you since it's hard to comment on every post, GREAT Job!

Most of you know me, but a quick little ditty about me. I live in a very remote part of Michigan..the upper peninsula  I am married to an awesome guy, Tom. (and very allergic to horses =])  We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary last May. He rides with me on occasion and is very supportive of the horses. We have two grown children, Andy & Tracy and they are both married. We are expecting our first grandchild. Which means I get to go shopping for a curly pony some day! LOL. We've owned curlies since 1996. We bred curlies for 10 years, but now just enjoy our 3 wonderful curly geldings, each with a unique a different personality. Zig, you met via Erin's post a few days ago. =] He is coming 21, Tom's horse and our very first curly! We have owned him since he was 4. We also have Bear, who is 18 this year and is our quiet, gentle sweet beginner safe guy. He is a delight and joy. You will probably see him on this blog, being ridden by many different people. That's his job. =] He is our most recent purchase, which was 2 years ago. Then there is Reese. My personal riding horse & silly buddy. He loves to be ridden and LOVES the trail. He is confident, curious and loves to lead. (Susan's Didder and Reese have alot in common as you will see =]) He is 12 this year and I've owned him since he was 3. He is a big lovable curly with quite the personality. Cooperative and willing one minute and sassy and testing me the next! Like any relationship, we have had incredible times and times of great learning. =] With prayer & guidance, God has used him to teach me alot about myself, my shortcomings and my strengths. It's been quite a journey!

Ok, on to our ride!

As you read earlier in Erin's post, we both joined you all for the Ride-with-Me ride. Even though riding in the winter is something I always look forward to, it still requires motivation at times. So the ride spurred me outside to enjoy our curlies just like you. You'll probably be hearing more from Erin than me, but to get Susan Lejohud off my back (HA!) I'll share the ride I had on Reese this past Sunday. =]

It was after a nice snow fall...the trees were really heavy with snow. Which always means it's time for extra bundling because ducking under those branches always means tons of snow down your back or in your saddle seat! Egads that can be cold. I have some nice insulated full seat winter quilted pants, but these looked REALLY nice. I might have to try them.

Anyhooo...in our quest for finding Big Foot, (not really a believer, but my husband is!) we set out across the road for our Sunday afternoon ride. It was a chilly 12 deg, a bit of a brisk wind but gorgeous as ever. I was so happy to be out on my chocolate horse on such a beautiful winter day.


These were our tracks from the day before on the Ride with Me ride. =]

Reese is a big fella so ducking under some of the heavy snowy branches just wasn't possible, so I dismounted to shake off the branches a bit. It also gave me a chance to snap a pick of my goofy guy. =]

We are blessed to live close to Lake Huron, so we can ride there within 30 min or so. Reese always loves it out there. The ice had built up on shore, so the sound of the roaring waves was distant, but so beautiful.



Looking forward to riding with you all this coming year. 
(Susan, it's your turn!) =]

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures, lovely post, and I can't believe our "twin" Curlies are 12 this year! I told the Tooth Fairy that Ah-D was 10. ooops. Have we really owned our Curlies for 9 years?? How time flies when you are having fun. My turn to post, hmmmm, good thing it is going to warm up a bit by this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the snow you have, wish we had some...maybe Friday??? You complimented me on Freedom and what you said about him...I h ave that with Reese. I absolutely love that horse. His color his conformation and yes I know what you mean by that character, sounds like my Spirit. ( non curly horse I brought with me from the Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Denise I have said it before and will again, you have great country to ride and take some fantastic pictures, they look great, and your horses well fantastic is a word not good enough but you also must be very proud of them. By the way, where is the Big foot foot prints???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Susan...wow, the time has flown..unbelievable. Looking forward to your next post! =] Thank you Marion...that is so sweet of you! I'd love to meet your Spirit someday. Harold, I did think I saw some big foot prints but they ended up being snow shoe prints instead...lol Maybe next time! I hope we get to see your handsome Curly Boy this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! When I first started reading I was eagerly waiting to see who else in the UP had Curly horses! Then it all began to sound familiar. Bet you can't wait to be a grandma!

    ReplyDelete