Thursday, January 31, 2013

Plow the trail, Mom! Found Big Foot(s) too!



Corky and I set out for a ride today and looked what we got a glimpse of!  Can you see Bigfoot just on the edge of the trees to the left?  Remember those hats I found?  He's wearing the red and black checked one!  How did he get that?  Oh, I left the hats in the barn.  He must have went in there to warm up and found the hats!  We had been having pretty warm weather up until yesterday when it went from about 30 to single digits last night!  Brrrrrrr!

Today it was about 12 degrees when I set out.  We've gotten about six or so more inches of snow.  It had also rained earlier in the week, so the snow was kind of crusty, but Corky was trudging through until we came to a Y in the trail and I wanted to go right and he wanted to go left.  When I insisted on right, he just stood there and stood there and stood there.  I couldn't get him to go.  He has never not responded to my request to move forward.  What the heck!  It did occur to me that maybe the snow was too deep for him.  My husband just said this morning that he thought I should let him plow the trail, but I was hesitant about that because I didn't want it to turn to ice.  After a couple of minutes, I decided to turn Corky in a circle trying to get some movement out of him.  I guided him to the right, he bought his head back to my stirrup and laid down!  No warning!  I had no time to tell him no!  He wasn't breathing heavy, but I think his legs were just tired.

So I got off and got him up and realized I was 2/3 of a mile back from the house and I didn't want to walk through this much snow either!  So I retightened his saddle, which was really loose, and climbed back on board and let him head for home.  I felt bad.  My poor baby boy.  But look what we saw again!

Another Bigfoot!  Or the same Bigfoot with a different hat on?  I don't know!  I bet we have a Mr. and Mrs. Bigfoot!  Awwww, I wonder if we'll have babies? 

Corky kept trudging until we got to where the two trails meet near the barn and then he stopped again.  I asked him to go the few remaining feet that it would be to where I tack and untack the horses, but he said, "No.  I got you this far.  Get the heck off!"

Never a dull moment!  Keep warm!

16 comments:

  1. And as a disclaimer for Susan L., no beagles were found. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Corky was hesitant because he could smell Mrs Bigfoot about to have a baby? Animals know these things! Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, you are so right! Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. There's no fool like an old fool, and you woke me right up out of a sound sleep worrying about Beagles! You have very handsome Bigfoots in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, when I seen the time stamp on your FB note to me, I was afraid that had happened. So sorry! But it is kind of funny that you of all people fell into my story. :)

      Delete
    2. Yah, what was it, 4:00 am? but anyway, too funny! I didn't realize you were taking poetic license with the WHOLE story. Maybe you have a second career here. You and Corky make quite the pair, too. With his laying-down antics, he is beginning to sound like Ah-D.

      Delete
    3. LOL! I thought of Ah-D and you making the news as I'm trying to get back on him with all my winter clothes! It was hilarious! He didn't sway his head or give me any indication whatsoever he was going down, just folded his legs! I'm trying to figure out how to make it a trick, but maybe that's not such a good idea.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Well, it does get real cold here. This morning it's right around zero.

      Delete
    2. "Cracking1" -that made me laugh! Is that like the Australian "crikey" (or however you spell it)

      Delete
  5. Hummm...I don't know but the BFRO might say that's a man in a Big foot suit, just sayin. LOL! But boy those swinging arms sure look authentic. =] I am THRILLED beyond speech at how much you are getting out and riding Janeen!! SEE, it's it awesome riding in the winter?? If you dress right it's amazing and so fun! It also really lifts your spirits to be outside for a short time on these cold short days. Keep up the great work and story telling!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFRO = Big Foot ????? I am enjoying myself riding! You were right! I'm sure Corky will be thrilled when Rocky can be rode, so Corky doesn't have to work so hard!

      Delete
    2. I believe it stands for Big Foot Researchers Organization. http://www.bfro.net/ Ah...Corky is doing just fine. It's good for him! =] They are tough little horses....remember, they are curlies! =]

      Delete
  6. I agree! I'm quite jealous of the amount of riding time you've been getting in! We had another big thaw then rain and then a flash freeze! We have so much ice! I'm happy you're able to get out so much! I enjoy reading about Corky! (And Rocky!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sort of had that here too, Donna, but then we got a bunch more snow, so the weather has been just right! The last couple of years it was like an ice rink everywhere around here and too dangerous. By the way, Rocky's mouth is improving and he is acting like a 3 year old. The vet comes next Wednesday to see where we're at. I'll be sure to post.

      Delete
  7. Well bigfoot sure gets around,,, first one I ever seen dressed, must be getting civilized or something.. looked to be agreat ride you had with a very calm horse,,, all that excitment, critters and all.. We had 25 below zero here this morning, I think bigfoot hibernated here , to cold

    ReplyDelete