Saturday, January 19, 2013

It Just Seemed Right

      This entry will be a first from me, as I only recently joined Ride-A-Curly. No, I didn't recently start riding curlies, competing, or appreciating them... it's been years. But I've never owned or leased a curly horse in my life. Why should I when I have a great friend who's always had them to spare!? That friend is Denise Conroy who started this whole Ride-A-Curly, Curly Horse Country, and every wonderful thing that goes with loving and promoting the breed. Since I was a kid, I learned the ins and outs of Curly Horses, the temperament of the breed, how to take good care of curled manes and tails, breed standards and pedigrees.... you name it. I've ridden both at shows and on trails with Denise's various horses over the years. I've even kept up with the activities of CCC and RAC sort of like a child looking over the fence wishing I could go play with the rest of the kids. I used to vote on Curly Horse contests at CCC, and it is likely that I know more about the rare curlies than any other breed. But alas, I didn't own a curly. In fact, I own a dare-I-say-it straight horse, a 15 year old quarter horse mare whom I love like a daughter. Denise and I ride together quite often either on my horses or we are on her horses or a combination of them.

Back to the kid standing longingly at the fence....Denise and I finally decided that I should be an honorary-non-curly-owning-but-riding-and-blogging-about-it member of RAC and so here I am. It just seemed right :-) This kid has just jumped over the fence with her borrowed curly saying, " Wait up! I'm coming too!"

So today was the cyber ride. I was riding right along with you. I've ridden a lot of different curlies over the years that Denise has graciously shared with me. Many have been sold, and new ones have come in. I've tried them all. The one that's been here the longest is Zig ( Zigachtcee's Parader ) who is nearly 21 years old. His age might make you think that he's an old poke and you throw anyone up on because he's been there done that. Not Zig. He's very sensitive and always aware of his surroundings and his rider's mood. I'm pretty used to a sensitive horse with a little bit hotter blood, yet still safe and quick to learn and remember. Zig is Tom's horse, but doesn't get out much. He's always the same for every ride when Tom or I take him out. It doesn't matter if it has been 2 months of two days. One thing that happens all the time is at the beginning of the ride. He stands for mounting, but as soon as my right leg is over the saddle he begins our ride. Off we go! You better hope you get your stirrups adjusted correctly because there's no stopping to fix them. He just starts the ride with all the energy and enthusiasms as anyone could want At times he can get a little restless wanting to lead the group or get out on the trail as soon as he is mounted. Stopping to admire the scenery doesn't always go so well for Zig and I. "KEEP CALM AND KEEP MOVING." That should be my motto for riding Ziggy. He is fueled by his rider ( which is why he needs a confident and calm rider for those times he gets excited or antsy) so I just don't let anything phase me and then nothing phases him. What I love about him is that he's always fun to ride, never boring and always sure footed. He's also got a terrific running walk! But on this Cyber Ride today he was exceptionally slow (for him) and content. Today Denise and I went out riding, she on Reese and me on Zig, in the most lovely winter wonderland. We've gotten a lot of snow here in the EUP of Michigan in the last few days ( falling still as I speak). It was that kind of snow that falls in big flakes so quietly with no wind to speak of. It would have been perfect, except we had the brilliant idea ( it was too!) to get on large animals and walk around in the woods. So naturally all that snow left the branches and as our horses passed or our helmets bashed or our horses' noses poked them it began to cover our carharts and migrate down into our coats and boots. BRRRR. But is was still fun. Zig's coat is so completely curled as it is every winter, but you wouldn't know it because of all the thick white frosting covering him! He could have had an appaloosa blanket pattern from a distance. 

We left our trail and came out onto a small beach cove where we met a group of college student on a retreat at a nearby retreat center. They liked the weather as much as we did! Denise and I knew their leader so we stopped for a moment to say hello. Reese is a ham and in-your-lap friendly, Zig.......well not so much. I expected him to get restless and dancy and I would have to ride him away from the crowd and keep him quiet until everyone was done petting Reese. NOPE. Not today! Ziggy was a gem. Several student gathered around Reese and more came around Zig and they oooed and ahhhhed over his curls. They asked us all kinds of questions about the breed and about Zig and Reese which I was pleased to inform them of. I do know a fair amount of Zig's personality, history etc and as I usually prefer to ride him out of Denise's three horses I felt proud of us as a team today. ( Just in case my own mare acquires the ability to read or hears about this through the grapevine... "YOU are always my best friend and team mate") Mostly I was also proud of Ziggy who stood like a statue (without a hint of claustrophobia...you can see how surrounded we were)  and was friendly with all the people and got his share of glamor shots :-) He wanted patiently until the student began to move and both horses proceeded down the beach.

What a nice ride it was. I judge a good ride by three things when I ride with Denise: 1) the behavior of the horse 2) the weather or scenery 3) the conversation :-)  All three were splendid today.



9 comments:

  1. Welcome here at the RAC! Great to be able to ride and enjoy the curlies together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, Erin Smith! Loved your blog, and I am glad you are an honorary member here! Loved reading your insights. I sometimes ride a borrowed 20-something Morgan mare with a good friend of mine. The mare is challenging to say the least, but it is fun to ride someone else's horse once in a while, even though, yes, my own Curly at home is MINE and MY FAVORITE OF ALL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky you are to have such a good friend to share her curlys and enjoy fun rides with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job blogging, Erin! I love your motto for zig, "Keep calm and keep moving!" SO TRUE. =] Great job riding Zig as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you joined Erin! I can't wait to actually meet you! Sounds like a wonderful ride today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo Erin! Great to have you on this side of the fence! I loved your post and look forward to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you all liked it. I haven't blogged since blogs first came into existence! I'll bee looking forward to reading more about you all and your horses and getting to know your mounts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watch out, Erin! Curlies are habit forming!! SO glad you are joining RAC!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post, and your ride sounds heavenly :)

    ReplyDelete