Friday, January 18, 2013

Greetings from Pennsylvania!


Greetings from PA!!

Hello everyone! My name is Riana Barrington and I own and manage my own small farm ( Barrington Stables) in Lancaster, Pa, along with my supportive husband, Joshua.  I spend my days taking care of all the animals on the farm including my beloved curly horses! I run a natural care horse boarding program and incorporate more natural behavioral methods, based on my father’s techniques, into personal training sessions and lessons  .


I’ve traveled the world and have had the opportunity to see and ride many different horses but the curlies are by far my favorites! I first encountered curly horses while attending the Equine Affaire in MA when I was much younger. I thought they were so cool and unique! I finally got to work with my first curly horse years later when my father purchased a stallion, Warrior Lynx( aka “Trouble”), bred by Donna Vickery.  He was so impressed with the disposition of this horse after using him for a photo shoot for a book he was writing at the time. I loved working with Trouble and hoped someday I would be able to have a “barn-ful” of curly horses like him.
                                                             Warrior Lynx, myself, and Dad
Now I own three curly horses. Someday I’d like to have a few more but my farm is at its limit for horses right now L.  We have a Warrior Lynx nephew, Stag Creek Aren Daego, aka Remi who is over four years old now. I purchased him at yearling age and he has a wonderful personality. I’ve done a lot of ground work with him and he is a pro. We’ve done a lot of bonding over the last few years. I’m hoping to put more time in the saddle with Remi this year.


                                                       Stag Creek Aren Daego, aka “Remi”


My favorite curly horse on the farm is our stallion, KC Prince Charles, aka “Chuck”. He came to join our family last spring from Cozy Nook Curlys in WA. He was a bit chunky and had a nice couch potato belly when he came but I’ve done a lot of work with him over the last year and he’s turned out nicely. He has a wonderful disposition and is super people friendly. He has sired many foals like himself and I’m hoping to have some of our own foals from him in the future. This year I think we are ready to attend some local shows and maybe some expos later in the year. I really want to use this handsome fellow and my other horses to promote this wonderful breed.
                                                            KC Prince Charles, aka “Chuck”

My curly mare is Stella (Krinkles Stormy Star) and I used her for trail riding and some lessons. She is more forward moving than my other curly horses but still has that good curly horse disposition. I give some lessons to young children on a lunge line with her, some of whom are higher functioning autistic.
She is very patient with them and I am grateful to have a horse who is capable of behaving well with them. My husband is also a behavioral psychologist and is impressed with Stella’s therapeutic abilities.

                                                  Stella and myself on a trail ride in Fair Hill, MD
Over the last few years I’ve put more time and energy into the farm and teaching others than anything else. Other people ride at my place more than I do, even though I live here! This year I would like to spend more time on me and spend more time with my own horses.  I plan to change my business plan a bit to allow a little more freedom time-wise and financially to spend more time on my own goals and dreams. I am thankful that Denise Conroy has started up RAC again this year so that I have some motivation to keep going and get even more time in the saddle. I am also looking forward to meeting other curly horse owners and hearing about the journeys with their horses this year!

10 comments:

  1. How sweet to see our "baby" all grown up! "Stella" was born here on our farm, out of my favorite broodmare of all time, "Krinkle Clown"...My driving horse "Legacy" is Stella's full sister. I just LOVE that lineage of horses, and find them forward (in a good way) kind, extremely smart and willing. I remember when Stella was born and Krinkles decided to take a nap...only to wake missing her newborn..Stella had wiggled her way down a bit of a hill and out of sight...Krinkles went into a full blown panic ( for a moment or two )...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea she was from your farm and Legacy's sister! How cool! She is definitely smart and has so much potential to do all sorts of things. Sadly she can't be bred but i think she would have made some beautiful babies with Chuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! So you are the blessed one to now own Chuck! He has always been one of my most favorite stallions. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise!I had always admired Chuck so when i was able to purchase him one of my curly dreams came true!I love him!

      Delete
  4. Your horses look great! I love the picture of Remi, he seems to shine in the sunlight! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like the curly horse summer coat is so different and more radiant than other horses. Makes for wonderful photos!

      Delete
  5. I have had a few Chuck babies and they always have extremely good temperaments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is wonderful to hear, Shelly. Since I don't have any Chuck babies yet, I love to hear about them from other people who have had experience with them.

      Delete
  6. Wow, Chuck is a stunning horse! I commend your and your husband. Horses are brilliant for autistic people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna! I have to agree that horses really do have a wonderful effect and are great therapy for these kids. Not on'y the ones with autism but also major confidence or social behavioral issues too. I find it so rewarding to hear about a child who learned to open up to others after spending time with horses. Amazing!

      Delete