Saturday, December 10, 2011

Big Improvement!!

While we haven't been very busy blogging, we have been busy working! Linus and I have gone back to groundwork and have been doing a lot of ground driving in preparation for our Christmas Day ride that the kids wants to have. My nephew, Griffin, is out for the weekend and came to visit Linus. The pictures did not turn out very well but you could see his eye and expression soften when Griffin came up to pet him. Linus is so drawn to the kids! I'm hoping my niece won't be too intimidated by him when she is down at Christmas time. She hasn't seen Linus since July. 



Today, it was beautiful out. The weather was around -2C and there were flurries on and off. The below picture was actually an attempt at getting a snowy picture for Harold! I will get more for you Harold when we have more snow. There is still rain in the forecast so it might take a few weeks!



So, I need some advice. In the below picture you can see that Mr Friendly has rubbed the hair off his neck from sticking his head through the gates for people to pet him. It wasn't too bad at first but it has gotten to be a large patch and I think is starting to look a bit ridiculous. I don't know whether I should leave it or cut the rest of his mane to that length?


I had to include this picture for those that have been taking ones of their horses stepping onto high rocks and  stone walls. This heifer is up on a haywagon! all 4's!! And you can see she looks quite pleased with herself. Don't mind the dirty appearance. It's been very muddy here recently. They do have a dry place to go!

Dad was working with Allie today while I was ground driving Linus. He was really impressed with our improvement. Linus did some really awesome turn arounds that this time last year were frustrating! He used to turn to face me instead of us turning together. We have both really improved on that one. It was nice today to have such a great session. Dad was brushing the mud off Allie (she's always plastered in it! she was a pig in a past life!) and said the hose needed to be moved from the cow tank to the heifer tank. So, I said no problem, we would go up and do it. So, I drove Linus up to the barnyard, turned him around at the tank and backed him up so I could reach the hose. He stood still while I pinched it and rearranged the reins. Then off we went with a cluck around the barn to the other tank. He was so good even with the hose dragging on the ground behind us! On the other side of the barn I had to move him sideways a bit so I could reach the tank and that was not a problem. Then, he waited while I reorganised the reins. I turned him around and we headed back over to Allie and Dad at a trot. He trotted right up to them all puffed up and proud looking as if to say "I did it!"
I would not be surprised if Dad soon starts Allie under harness. That will lotsa fun!!!
Have a nice weekend!
Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, On

3 comments:

  1. It's always nice to read what you've been up to with Linus. He must really stick his neck out a lot to get his mane rubbed off because straight Curly's manes are so much tougher. I always have the same dilemma with Ah-D. Linus is just going to be such an incredible riding and driving horse at such a young age. You have done an incredible job with him and have taken the time and effort it takes to start a youngster the right way. Looking forward to seeing your Christmas adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Donna, you sure don;t have much snow I don't have any at all. I hoping for a white Christmas though. Like the heifers on the wagon.
    Good rideing in Dec Congrats. to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I meant NOv.forgive me Eh????????

    ReplyDelete