Saturday, December 10, 2011

Froze Toes


Took a nice little evening ride today, and boy oh boy, was Didder frisky! That cold air that has finally arrived has put some extra spunk in his step. The ponds are just starting to skim over and the mud puddles are crunchy. I had great company for this ride. Football season and hunting season are over, so Ian is again available. Al was pretty happy about it. We found a small patch of grass on a trail, so we let the horses indulge. We had several nice trots and bushwhacked a little, too. We had a big wind storm the other day, so some of our ride involved picking our way around downed trees. As usual, Ah-D was a champ at this, and led the way. By the time we headed back, we were enjoying the sunset. By that time, my toes was froze! Two pairs of socks didn't cut it; I'm going to need to go with some warmer woolly ones. I was thankful for the hat I had on under my helmet, too. I'm waiting for some snow to arrive to try for a Christmas picture -what about the rest of my fellow RACers?

7 comments:

  1. We have a dusting but rain is coming so definitely waiting for more!! I had doubled socks on too! And still was cold! You'd think for someone who loves winter so much i'd be better at staying warm! The cover of a recent magazine here had a really nice winter hat to wear over a helmet. Kept the helmet, ears, cheeks and most of face covered! Would love one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds cool, Donna! It really wasn't that cold here, probably the same as it was in Canada, but my blood is thin from the unusually warm fall we had. I have Smart Socks on my Christmas list. Betsy and Harold say they are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure you get the real smart wool, fake ones are cheaper but don't work as well Susan, I paid twenty dollars for the last pair they are well worth it, I wear my regular boots all winter.
    great pictures and congrats on your Dec Ride for you and Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Susan meant to say Nov ride. I'm getting old. loose track of months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, sounds like you need some serious extreme winter wear!! check out my product review page: http://curlyhorsecountry.com/curlyhorseproducts_reviews.htm#ec Down below HELMETS is EXTREME WINTER CLOTHING. A pair of warm riding muck boots is a must. My feet hardly ever get cold. You can also toss in some of those hand warmer pocket thingies. I need to invest in one of those bit warmers too like Betsy has...it's that time of year!! OH....and everything you say about AHD, I ditto for Reese. I can feel a spunk in his step too...and the problem is that the ground is very uneven and hard so he isn't getting exercise in the corral. So when we get on the trail he feels good. I decided although he has been VERY good and listening, that I can't ride him until I can lunge him first..either it needs to warm up so the ground is soft enough, or snow so there is some good footing. OR I could get on the trail a ways, find a soft spot and lunge a few minutes..that might be all he needs. But in any case...I need to know he is listening to me..and hard to correct when you can force their feet to move without risking injury. Anyhooo...have fun and glad you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant: ..and hard to correct when you can't force their feet to move without risking injury. =] (see, I am correcting too harold..i think we need more coffee!) lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dear Friend,
    Just come on down to Texas and stay a spell....Harold you too,we wear boots all year round here too{:>
    Angie

    ReplyDelete