Monday, December 12, 2011

My Christmas Present

Hi all! I want to introduce you to Rocky! As some of you may know, we had to part with Tygs, which was a very sad thing for us. But we have found our new love! Rocky is a recessive Curly out of two quarter horses. His registered name is Absolute Shamrock. He was born on 3/17/10. Rocky had a very big day yesterday, as he woke up and got all ready to come to his new home.

Here you see Rocky is being dressed in blankets because it was 25 degrees out in Ohio. He had never had a blanket on, but took it all instride. My friends Kathy and Kelly took the long trip starting on Saturday morning and picking him up Sunday morning for me, as I couldn't go. I also knew Rocky had never traveled before and wanted experienced people to handle his trailering home. They are really impressed with Rocky. He did stand at the door for just a little while, but then got in and was all ready to "rock"! His ride home was ten hours and he handled it like a pro!

He never complained once and wasn't nervous at all. They were on I-75 and he just took it all in munching on his hay. They crossed the Mackinac Bridge, no big deal to Rocky! 45 minutes later they pulled into his new home. I think he thought he would have to stay on that trailer forever, because he looked surprised that we opened the door.

This is the first time we actually meet and it was love at first sight! What a good boy! What a big boy! After unloading we walked around and just checked out what we could in the dark. What a long day for a baby boy, but he just was inquisitive. He met his new horsey friends over the fence, discovered a stick that I hadn't picked up and was banging it on the fish cleaning table, and just never missed a beat.

As you can tell, Rocky is big already, so it will be interesting to see how big he will get, but he's a sweetheart and took our hearts immediately. He has been worked with regularly, which I was told, but last evening I discovered that even in a regular halter he responds to pressure, backs up, will let me touch him all over, will lower his head for me and I haven't had to catch him at all. You go out and he meets you about halfway just wanting attention. Him and my husband already have this thing where Rocky puts his head on his shoulder and Kirk just pets him. So I'm starting all over with points! You better watch out, Donna! I'm just joking of course. I'm anxious to start working with Rocky. Today we just let him take it easy and started introducing the other horses to him. I did note during my evaluation of his knowledge that we need to work on standing still just because and space, so that's where we'll start! This is one of the best Christmas presents ever for me!

5 comments:

  1. He looks like a great horse! And definitely seems quite big for his age

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring it on Janeen! Lol!! He's a beauty and boy does he ever look big!! I've missed reading about you and Tygs - this explains it!! Have fun with him. He already seems pretty smart!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited that this boy is so close and I can meet him in person! Janeen, I am just so very happy for you that you finally have your very own curly AND that God gifted you with such a perfect match. I pray you have many, many years together and we spend many hours together on the trail promoting this amazing breed!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janeen,
    Lovely fella and this Irish lady loves his name. What a lucky friend he has with you. Hugs, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janeen, how sweet and BIG he is! Isn't it just so wonderful how you two have bonded already? A match made in heaven. You are going to have a blast working with him! The best Christmas present ever! Keep us posted on Rocky's progress. -Susan in Maine

    ReplyDelete