Friday, December 2, 2011

Never Rein Back!


Dear Reader,
In the picture you can see Lyle and I returning from a trail ride. His head set is good. It is the head set that allows Lyle to enjoy the ride. And enjoy it he did. He had peace in his heart. He was a happy horse and an obedient horse. The only thing I wanted for Lyle was to find this kind of peace. I wanted nothing more. Well, God has given me a trail horse!
The only reason why Lyle was able to begin a new and a good life was because of the Teaching of Mr. Philippe Karl. I am over simplifying what he teaches. But there are three principles that apply to Lyle. They are:
1. Never use the bit to stomp on the horse's tongue.
2. Never rein back. That is always follow the horse's mouth and alway give the horse the ability to release his jaw. Again, never rein back.
3. The aids of the hands and of the legs must always be in harmony and always be in agreement.
On these three principles that I have over simplified is based all of Lyle's retraining under saddle. And Lyle is falling in love with being ridden. I am thankful.
Here I WILL PREACH! I hope that those who truly love their horses will read what Mr. Karl has to way in his book "The Twisted Truths of Dressage."
Personally, for me this is a somewhat different way of riding. I have to train myself in new habits and use my muscles a little differently. So I am learning how to ride! That is good and again I am thankful.
So Harold, I am ready to ride with you as a partner. You on Curly Boy, who is Lyle's sire, and me on Lyle, who is becoming a useful horse.
Sincerely,
Penny Johnson
Kootenai Curly Horses
Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA

4 comments:

  1. Penny, I am truly so happy for you and Lyle! There's nothing like the feeling you get when your horse WANTS to be with you on the trail and you are partners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    Thank you. You know from Ah-D that it is an amazing gift from the horse.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. one more obstacle my body has to get over and I will be back in the saddle. I just may have to hitch Curly boy]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harold,
    Can you hear this old lady in the wilds of northern Idaho cheering you on! Well that is exactly what I am doing. And I NEED you to come up here and teach me how to shoot a riffle. The government fools have introduced the gray wolf to this area. It never was here before but it is now. It has started to prey on live stock. So I will have to learn to be a cowgirl and "take out the varmints."
    Sincerely,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete