Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Festive Outfits - chapter 2

ENTRY #3
I see many of you are celebrating a green holiday season like we are -- it's chilly here, sunny -- but by no means a typical winter.

After my first chapter in garish holiday dressing, today  my thoughts were drifting toward sparkly and tasteful :)  With another seasonal holiday in mind -- an early Chanukah celebration with blue, white and silver as my theme. But it certainly fits Christmas too !


OYY Beowulf - my silly buckskin pony stud volunteered as my highly decorated victim today.
He's a coming three year old, but still stood very patiently on the cross ties while I tied him up in bows and bells.  I have not harnessed him since mid November -- and here I am adding quite a bit more to the mix.






Even with the game of dress up -- it is still a training session also.  I hitched him and ground drove him a bit around the yard to be sure he was tolerant of all the extras.  Beowulf was fine and excited to get down to business.













After a few turns in the yard, we headed down the driveway to the big ring.  There we practiced walking in serpentines around the cones - then Beowulf accommodated me with a very nice quick trot over the bumpy frozen ground.


he is looking so handsome - I am forced to share more photo's !!  what a great Holiday pony

















this is the first time I have gotten a nice trot from Mister Wulfie.  Of course, this is only the third or fourth time he's been down here in the big ring.


Today he was in a merry mood. He has bells around his neck and bells on his front legs.









We head out onto the tar end of the road for a nice trot back and forth and practice our turns.









We met some traffic -- and gained a lot of confidence.













Time to end the festivities and head home. Zoe did a great job manning the camera - she hops in the cart for a ride home. Now comes the hard work for Beowulf... he has to pull us both up the hill.  He needs to build up his endurance so he can someday travel miles about the countryside like Miss Nimue -- who is now in her new home in northern New Hampshire.  This is Nimue's cart actually.  it's not a perfect fit -- and the harness needs some changes and tweaking.. but all in all -- I believe a successful day with schooling and decorations.

This lovely gala Chanukah pony is for sale by the way --  he's all wrapped and ready to go !  If you are curious to watch more of our adventures today, the entire video is on you tube. I left all of Mister Wulf's goofs in - because he did such a great job working through them.

Stay tuned for the next installment of Dressing for the Holidays from Top O' The Hill Farm !

And a quick note to the grand mam of RAC -- Denise... on the topic of santa hats and securing them in place. You might remember my video from our last year's trek through the town of Chester when we had to stop several times to put Keri's Hat back on.    Cut a hole for one ear and tuck the fluffy white band of the hat solidly under the browband and chin strap of the bridle.  This seemed to work for me and Keri this time :) But Reese may have a quicker stronger head shake than Miss Keri !

Betsy and OYY Beowulf - with Zoe behind the camera lens in Vermont

8 comments:

  1. Always fun to read your posts and see the adventures your horses get to take! The festive dressing is a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy , you really do a fantastic job with your horse, I am envious of you. The only decoration I can get on Curly is some cockelburrs, I think they came from Canada too with the Canadian thistle. Eh??
    Great pictures just great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beowolf looks just like a Christmas present you would find under the tree! What an excellent temperament he has. Thank you for the entertainment and smiles, once again! -Susan in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, Harold is really turning into a fine speakin' Canadian, eh? lol

    Betsy!! Once again, you out did yourself. I just LOVE the bells! I have no idea how long it takes you to put all those ribbons and bows in his mane so they stay, but it is spectacular-io! (which is better than spectacular) =]

    Beowulf is quite a guy! As are all your horses! What a great christmas present he would make. I really don't know how you have time to sleep with all you have going on. I showed Tom the video and told him, "when you present a challenge to Betsy, she goes full tilt!" I love it! Thanks for motivating us! And also for the tip on the hat. I'll see if I can give it a try.

    Can't wait to see more!!! I am praying for snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy I love the idea with all the bows in the hair. You are really creative and I like how you have color cordinated your horses so that they have their very own. I also think he has a really pretty trot too and was really compliant to the whole dress up idea :) I think about that if our horses think we are crazy when we dress them up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, all I can say is that you crack me right up!! "oops, I lost a ribbon... oops a bow fell off..." and you keep him right on trotting! He DOES have a nice trot, as Dana says! I have to say that you are making for a most festive mood even if none of us have any snow! You have certainly taken this challenge over the top already. You can't possibly keep up this pace? (That is a question, not an additional challenge!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to show yout pictures off! The girls at work love to see them!! I love buckskins so if you need a tree to park that beauty under....
    excellent cheer spreading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betsy,
    Blue and silver are wonderful Christmas colors. They were used in the Middle Ages before the red and green became so popular.
    Beowulf is a real nice tempered horse. I enjoy read your accounts and seeing your pictures.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete