Sunday, November 1, 2009

Daylight

It's been entirely too long since last I blogged here, however, as Denise so well reminded us all, it's important to share our stories and exercise our typing hands, so, I thought I'd share some about the happenings here...
Just came in from finishing up feeding. The moon is spectacular looking right now, bright and beautiful with a few clouds streaming across it. It's been really cold and rainy for the most part, it's nice to have a little clear skies, although, of course, it makes it that much colder outside with the Earth's blanketing clouds gone.
As many of you may know, we had four Curly foals born here this summer. I've decided to go about their training in a different manner than what I've done in the past. While all four were imprinted at birth, their first month of life I've made no demands on them, basically spent it petting them all over, scratching their itchy spots, and basically just hanging out with them quietly doing whatever it is they're doing with them.

Recently I began their halter training. The first steps consist of just petting them and scratching their itchy spots, just like before, only now I'm using the halter to do so, in addition to my hands. I'm also making sure to handle all of their legs and lift a leg up randomly on occasion as I pet and scratch them.
In reading Karen Pryor's book "Don't Shoot the Dog", I am exploring some alternative methods to training. This isn't even the "Natural Horsemanship" methods, it really is all positive reinforcement. It's also not pushing my youngsters to do something before they are ready, but rather encouraging them to come to it on their own and rewarding the "right" behavior and choices. I am trying to encourage my brilliant, thinking, baby Curlies to continue through their lives that way, being respectful, but also being allowed and encouraged to think for themselves and puzzle through things. We will see how it goes. So far, really good though.
The third time I had a ground training session with them, Rogue in particular was ducking her head into the halter and trying to help me put it on her. All four of the foals seem to be getting the knack of it without any of the drama or negative experience associated with other foals I've participated in halter training. I'm really excited about training this way, it's a lot of fun, makes me really enjoy working with all the babies rather than having a little dread about what it's going to take to get them to do something they really don't want to.
I will try to keep everyone updated on our progress as I continue to work with the youngsters in their various ground work exercises! :-)
I hope everyone is getting out and enjoying these last colorful Fall days we're having, when it's not raining, I know I am! :-)
Best Wishes,
~Heather
Skygazer Ranch

2 comments:

  1. Heather,
    You are to be commended for doing a wonderful job inprinting these beautiful foals. Keep up the good work.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Angie; please keep us posted on how you come along with these beautiful foals, Heather!

    ReplyDelete