Tuesday, November 17, 2009
A Small Window of Time
Out of work early today ~ which offered me a small window of time before dark to work with my beloved Curly AhD. I thoroughly enjoyed this small session! We started with the rope halter and heavy, long leadrope, reviewing backing out of my space, lateral flexion, giving to pressure and picking up feet upon request. Last spring, many of these things were mini-battles, but now I get AhD's cooperation and attention. I changed out the halter for a hackamore, and we headed out to the paddock. I led him around a bit to let him feel how the hackamore worked ~ backing, doing gee and haw and whoa. When he was ready, I led him up to the rock and jumped aboard. AhD didn't move a muscle when I mounted, and we "practiced" the (sometimes lost) art of standing still. He was great and didn't move forward one inch until I asked. Good boy!! We tooled around the paddock, working on seat and leg cues with as little rein as possible. AhD is starting to understand my seat cue for backup. We worked on whoa and/or slow down, using seat only. He listened! I think he was really into it and was enjoying it as much as I was. I mounted and dismounted several times from both sides. Once I laid down on his back and then slid down off his butt. His ears were back ~ listening ears, thinking ears. I am so pleased with my Curly. When hunting ends and December comes, we will be ready to hit the trails without a hitch.
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- ► 2010 (477)
- Blossom - A partner for life
- The Right Equipment
- The Ol' Switcheroo
- An autumn trail ride with Chester
- OYY HummingBird and first time under saddle
- Ground Work and Ring work
- Woman's Best Friend...
- New Territory Explored
- Riding Curlies with my son, Andrew
- Less is More with a Hackamore
- Horse Shadows
- My favorite things..riding and showing off Curly h...
- Our new little Queen of the Hill
- As I have mentioned before, we are not so fortuna...
- Sunday Again - Yay!
- Advice for a cold horse?
- Young Boys Learning
- Learning to gracefully, ground mount :)
- Shoulders Out, Shoulders In and Side passes
- Sharing Lunch with My Boy
- Double mom and daughter
- A Beautiful morning with Blossom
- A Real Change
- A Small Window of Time
- Brigi and I have been on many adventures lately....
- Sunny Monday
- A real ranching day at Golden Curls Ranch
- It's all in the family
- Out Jumping Trees
- Chester and Angie take a different kind of walk
- New Driving Prospect
- Silly, Spunky, Spirited Curlies of the Day!! :-)
- Kids leave the nest and Moms go back to work
- Lakota like Horse Trailering 101
- Sunday Ride
- A Potentially Great Ride Interrupted
- *Buck at Tippecanoe State Park
- My Dear Meets Deer
- Sage's riding lesson (and a trail ride)
- My big farm rule is : When you go out your doo...
- Weaning Foal Fun
- WooHoo...back at it!
- More lessons cancelled and more driving
- Close to Home
- Early Morning Snow Ride
- Good teachers
- Driving Miss Nimue
- Summer Time Highlight
- Trail Riding at Golden Curls Ranch
- Camping with Pyewacket
- A Pony of many names and talents :)
- Lateral Flexing and barrel racing in Texas
- Our Summer riding camps.
- Scenic Vistas
- A nice warm fall day.
- Lesson Time
- wow usually I'm the one wishing I could be riding ...
- Gone but not forgotten!
- ....I saw the fear in her beautiful, brown eyes.
- Fresh Trail !
- Nap Time
- Flashback to Acadia
- Video - Nevada's Blossom
- Ghouls, Saints and changing clocks
- Lakota to Lydiker...
- Nevada's Blossom
- ▼ November (68)