Sunday, November 22, 2009
Sunday Again - Yay!
AhD was pretty darn spunky for this Sunday ride. He hasn’t been getting anywhere near the exercise that he did pre-hunting-season, and it showed. My friends arrived just after noon, and we headed down across my neighbor’s property to the trails that led to Sanitorium Hill. We spunked along down the trail that leads to the Sandpit Road. One of us was tossing his head and kicking out at dogs at every opportunity. The lovely Dane Ebony joined us as well as my beautious Lab Grace. The dogs were in seventh heaven, right along with the rest of us. We crossed three really expanded streams; it didn’t seem like crossing, it was more like walking down small rivers. Grace swam. After traveling through the sandpit and walking through the last stream, suddenly AhD dropped his head about six inches and settled into the ride. Whew! We traveled through the woods up the mountain to reach the large field at the top of Sanitorium Hill. Grace was ecstatic. After a short break, my friends decided a canter was in order, which was fine. We cantered a while and then my pony started developing an Attitude again. I dismounted and we did some circles and other groundwork. I made him stand still, out of sight of the other horses while I picked the burrs out of his curly coat. Once I was sure his mind was more on ME rather than on the other horses, I mounted and we worked on some larger circles, whoas, backs, and we also practiced heading away from the crowd. We spent quite a lot of time in the field, and then found a trail at one end of it. Took that trail aways and then back out on the road. We stopped at the edge of an apple orchard for a treat. Headed for home, we trotted briskly a mile or two along a back road before we took another woodsy trail. It was a good workout for me and AhD. Grace was exhausted! She is not in shape like Ebony is. At the power line, we decided to try that a bit, since my friend Ulla had never experienced power line riding. I said, "Follow me!" and off we went, picking our way through the terrain, charging up steep hills, and coming much more gently down the other side. AhD was being a good leader. We crossed yet another overfull stream, and then left the power line for my neighbor’s beautiful trails. Ahhh, a perfect place for a rollicking canter! AhD envisioned himself as a racehorse, but I reminded him that he was a Curly. He listened, so I let him gallop up our Running Hill. By the time we got back to the house, Grace’s tongue was about hanging on the ground, but boy, was she ever happy! ME TOO!
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- ► 2010 (477)
- Blossom - A partner for life
- The Right Equipment
- The Ol' Switcheroo
- An autumn trail ride with Chester
- OYY HummingBird and first time under saddle
- Ground Work and Ring work
- Woman's Best Friend...
- New Territory Explored
- Riding Curlies with my son, Andrew
- Less is More with a Hackamore
- Horse Shadows
- My favorite things..riding and showing off Curly h...
- Our new little Queen of the Hill
- As I have mentioned before, we are not so fortuna...
- Sunday Again - Yay!
- Advice for a cold horse?
- Young Boys Learning
- Learning to gracefully, ground mount :)
- Shoulders Out, Shoulders In and Side passes
- Sharing Lunch with My Boy
- Double mom and daughter
- A Beautiful morning with Blossom
- A Real Change
- A Small Window of Time
- Brigi and I have been on many adventures lately....
- Sunny Monday
- A real ranching day at Golden Curls Ranch
- It's all in the family
- Out Jumping Trees
- Chester and Angie take a different kind of walk
- New Driving Prospect
- Silly, Spunky, Spirited Curlies of the Day!! :-)
- Kids leave the nest and Moms go back to work
- Lakota like Horse Trailering 101
- Sunday Ride
- A Potentially Great Ride Interrupted
- *Buck at Tippecanoe State Park
- My Dear Meets Deer
- Sage's riding lesson (and a trail ride)
- My big farm rule is : When you go out your doo...
- Weaning Foal Fun
- WooHoo...back at it!
- More lessons cancelled and more driving
- Close to Home
- Early Morning Snow Ride
- Good teachers
- Driving Miss Nimue
- Summer Time Highlight
- Trail Riding at Golden Curls Ranch
- Camping with Pyewacket
- A Pony of many names and talents :)
- Lateral Flexing and barrel racing in Texas
- Our Summer riding camps.
- Scenic Vistas
- A nice warm fall day.
- Lesson Time
- wow usually I'm the one wishing I could be riding ...
- Gone but not forgotten!
- ....I saw the fear in her beautiful, brown eyes.
- Fresh Trail !
- Nap Time
- Flashback to Acadia
- Video - Nevada's Blossom
- Ghouls, Saints and changing clocks
- Lakota to Lydiker...
- Nevada's Blossom
- ▼ November (68)