Monday, November 2, 2009

Flashback to Acadia

Since Denise has encouraged us to share more often on this blog, I thought I'd reach into the folder of pictures I took on my five day camping trip to Acadia National Park. Above please see AhD and I in posing in front of the mansion that I bought with my spare pocket change. :) Quite fitting for such a noble steed, is it not? He is none too impressed; you can see he is relaxing a hind leg. Guess this was everyday stuff to him. Ho hum.

All three of us on the trip laid claim to this house, so we decided to share it. Looks like there was plenty of room in the house for us and plenty of room in the stone barn attached for the horses as well.
Truth be told, this is where we camped. This was none too shabby, either, to wake up to this view! Behind and to the right of this photo are three light and airy barns where AhD stayed with his buddies and sundry other horses. Some fancy, some not so fancy, but he was the only Curly. I'm positive he was the handsomest one there. Our camping spot was off to the left, nestled in the woods.




There were countless stone bridges on the carriage trails. Sometimes the stream would be running just below the bridge, but most times the streams were quite far below. Many of the brooks were lined with gorgeous pink granite.Here are a few scenes from the Around the Mountain trail. This ride took us five hours, and it was incredibly awesome!!! We had beautiful weather on that day and could see for miles. We were so high up that the trees were quite scrubby and windblown. Notice the large granite rocks lining these carriage roads, rather than stone walls.To say the drop off at the edge of the road was steep would be an understatement.
I am so blessed to have been able to take this fall 2009 trip with my friends Ulla and Sue and my mighty Curly steed AhD. Plans are in the works for a Spring 2010 jaunt as well!

2 comments:

  1. Susan,
    How beautiful the photos are....and I drew deep breathe looking at the ledge:)But, with the handsome one, AhD, I think you are in safe hands....still ....Wow....could I possibly jump into your saddle bag for the next trip?
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to second Angie here, I'd like to be a passenger on your next trip, spectacular views and sites to see, LOVE the mansion, such beautiful structure and scenery!! :-)

    ReplyDelete