Friday, January 1, 2010
Happy New Year from Texas
I was so thrilled that Denise put out the call for a ride with me on New Years' Day as I most likely would not have been prepared. The weather has been dismal this winter.....not like many of you with ice and snow.....but wet and grey and temps in the 30's and 40's will cut to the bone all the same.
As I looked out this morning I questioned my sanity. Suddenly about 10:15 Texas time (about 30 minutes prior to the golden hour) the sun came out. I got my saddle and took out a young mare that I started myself last summer. Blossom was a little dirty and hadn't had the saddle on in over a month and has lost a little weight.....a good thing for my full figured girl. We warmed up a little in the arena and headed out.
Things are very wet so I chose a trail I thought would be perfect for a little first time out in a while.
Hmmmm......think again. There was water along the trail and I expected it to be soft so chose to avoid that when suddenly Blossom was down. I stepped off and water went over the top of my boot.....think very squishy and cold. Blossom just laid there on her side....kinda looking around and surveying the situation. She finally heaved herself up and I lengthened her lead so she didn't lunge on top of me. We scrapped the idea of a true trail ride for the day. Since she seemed fine I climbed back aboard and placed a call to our fearless leader to inquire of any specialty points for riding a young horse into a bog and surviving with nary a scratch.
Gotta love these Curlies......how many other breed horses could be this calm.
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- I DID IT!!!!!
- Twice Out on Crutches
- first time in a while riding
- Freezin on Hockey Day in Canada
- The Windchill Continues
- New Hope
- One of those days
- Saturday Shannon and I went to work in an indoor ...
- He DOES listen!!
- New Years day my daughter Shannon and I went for ...
- This is Ringo and I at the beach when we first go...
- Lakota's Busy Day
- Little bits and pieces
- Stella's Latest Adventure I
- Getting Ready for Donna's Trail Ride
- New Hampshire Ride
- Beautiful Winter Ride
- Blue Skies, Shining at Me :)
- Short But Sweet
- More sitting on a horse than riding...
- Progress with Lacey!
- Winter Riding - snow, ice and more snow
- Horse Doula Needed :-Z
- A long awaited new begining....
- Quick update (Dolly & Diamond)
- The Tiny Great American Cattle Drive
- Working on improving our Ground Work Skills
- Lemonaid For Life
- No riding yet here but did get some horse time!
- Beautiful Winter Evening Ride 1/19/10
- On crutches, but planning for the year
- Paying Attention
- Baby steps
- Riding with Snowmobiles
- The Little Things in a Life....
- Well to get started ...
- Playing with Rose
- Another beautiful day.
- Hi All, Another great ride today. Not as nice as...
- All stretched out!
- First Ride for 2010!
- Nice day for a ride??
- Congratulations 2009 RAC Champions!
- Glorious Winter Day!
- Great Ride!
- 40 degrees today
- Riding in the dark (almost)
- I can imagine that you're getting a little tired o...
- still winter, still cold and still riding :)
- Another almost sunny day...
- 2010 Dolly & Diamond
- Playing around
- just a test
- ready to ride!
- Weekend Antics
- New Year's Day from Dian Williams
- Cold here also - but Sun Again !!
- Spring In Winter
- Back In the Swing of Things
- First riding lesson in deep snow
- Sun and snow again
- Snowflakes and curlies
- Yielding and Bending
- little black things??
- A Great Day to get Started!
- Tuesday's Mood Lifter
- First time blogging...ever!
- New England Weather
- Hi All, I am new to RAC, but looking forward to it...
- Sleigh Bells and Winter Fun
- Maine Winter Wonderland Ride
- Happy New Year's from VT!
- New Years Day first ride on my new stud
- New Year's Day ride 2010 !
- New Year's Day ride
- No pictures from today- sorry- it was dusk when I ...
- New Years Ride with Me
- What a Way to Start out the New Year!
- Today I made my commitment to RAC 2010 start off ...
- Happy New Year from Texas
- New Year's Day, Ride w/ Me - COLD!
- ▼ January (81)
- ► 2009 (333)