Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years Ride with Me

Although I had good intentions of riding with the rest of my Curly buddies, I managed to talk myself out of a ride. I have only sat on Lakota twice since we had a huge spook and fall back in April (15th, to be exact). My back still isn't at 100% and gives me fits from time to time, so the memory of that landing is still pretty close to the surface. My kids and husband are away snowmobiling for the long weekend, and won't be back until Sunday afternoon. All I could imagine was myself laying out in the freezing cold, unable to move, until Sunday. So that scrapped that idea. Go ahead, call me chicken ;-)

Anyway, since the day was gorgeous, about 30F and the sun shining, I visited my girls in the barn. I spent about a half hour scratching Lakota's substantial posterior as she managed to maneuver it repeatedly, so that I could scratch exactly the spot she wanted. I was with you all in spirit, spending time with my Curlies, albeit not on board.




2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your fall Michelle! Somehow I missed reading about that last year. It's hard getting your confidence back after a fall. :( Heck, last year it was hard for me getting my confidence back and I *didn't* fall! Horses just seem higher off the ground now that I'm an adult. I swear when I was a kid they were much smaller. ;)

    I don't know if this would interest you or not but a book that helped me some was called "Move Closer, Stay Longer" by Stephanie Burns. I'm also planning on buying a book off of amazon.com soon that is specifically for adult riders trying to regain their confidence. That's it, that's the whole book. :]

    Anyways, glad you and Lakota had some good quality time together and yeah...I refuse to ride unless other people are home too. That's just what feels safe and smart to me.

    Happy trails!
    Brie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    You are making the first steps and we are all behind you. (My Lakota, a gelding, is so fast he is the only Curly I have fallen off - knock on wood, but he always comes to get me:>)
    I look forward to hearing more about your Lakota and I promise to get my bum back in my Lakota's saddle this year, too!
    Best wishes,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete