Sunday, January 24, 2010
New Hampshire Ride
New Hampshire Ride
Miss D and I made it out again this weekend. (Yesterday was much nicer than it was today.) We're expecting a nasty wintery mix this evening - and then rain! I'm not looking forward to the mess that will likely create.
Thanks for the support and advice about Miss D's (Deams) pregnancy. I do have the book mentioned along with many others. I really do appreciate any and all advice you have to share.
More about my situation:
I have a new barn (still somewhat under construction). I currently have about 2+ acres of semi-cleared space fenced in with electric tape.
In mid-March/early April we, in New Hampshire, experience "mud season". My vet seemed quite concerned about the area I have and the potential problem of mud. He does not want me using electric tape ... So... suggested that I get a round pen - or something like that for the paddock space. (Felt it could be moved if necessary.)
How concerned should I be about mud ?
Should I bring my horse to a friend's barn - where the conditions may be a little better to have her foal?
If so, how long would you suggest that she stay there? (Would need to trailer - etc.)
Is there something reasonable and inexpensive (like sand or something) that I could/should use to prep the paddock area - to help control the mud) *Money will be getting tight - especially if I need to purchase a round pen.
My stall is newly constructed (by my husband) - The walls extend all the way to the ground with no gaps for little hooves to get caught. Are there other considerations for the stall I should be aware of?
Do you suggest a heat lamp?
I am a teacher, and plan to take the day off when Deams has her baby - will that be sufficient - or will I need to take more time (to be here all day long) for the first few days (or more)?
I know I will need to have her flank and udder washed down, and tail wrapped. Is there a typical routine one takes (considering the time of year) in hopes or having mom ready for the baby? I don't want to keep prepping her every day for 3+ weeks if not necessary.
I will have a foaling kit on hand, foal size halter and blanket, towels, telephone numbers (vet), and straw bedding .
Do you suggest getting a foal predicting kit? How does this work? Are they accurate?
What else? Any and all advice and information will be greatly appreciated.
FYI: Deams has had one successful pregnancy and (from what I understand) was a good mother.
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- I DID IT!!!!!
- Twice Out on Crutches
- first time in a while riding
- Freezin on Hockey Day in Canada
- The Windchill Continues
- New Hope
- One of those days
- Saturday Shannon and I went to work in an indoor ...
- He DOES listen!!
- New Years day my daughter Shannon and I went for ...
- This is Ringo and I at the beach when we first go...
- Lakota's Busy Day
- Little bits and pieces
- Stella's Latest Adventure I
- Getting Ready for Donna's Trail Ride
- New Hampshire Ride
- Beautiful Winter Ride
- Blue Skies, Shining at Me :)
- Short But Sweet
- More sitting on a horse than riding...
- Progress with Lacey!
- Winter Riding - snow, ice and more snow
- Horse Doula Needed :-Z
- A long awaited new begining....
- Quick update (Dolly & Diamond)
- The Tiny Great American Cattle Drive
- Working on improving our Ground Work Skills
- Lemonaid For Life
- No riding yet here but did get some horse time!
- Beautiful Winter Evening Ride 1/19/10
- On crutches, but planning for the year
- Paying Attention
- Baby steps
- Riding with Snowmobiles
- The Little Things in a Life....
- Well to get started ...
- Playing with Rose
- Another beautiful day.
- Hi All, Another great ride today. Not as nice as...
- All stretched out!
- First Ride for 2010!
- Nice day for a ride??
- Congratulations 2009 RAC Champions!
- Glorious Winter Day!
- Great Ride!
- 40 degrees today
- Riding in the dark (almost)
- I can imagine that you're getting a little tired o...
- still winter, still cold and still riding :)
- Another almost sunny day...
- 2010 Dolly & Diamond
- Playing around
- just a test
- ready to ride!
- Weekend Antics
- New Year's Day from Dian Williams
- Cold here also - but Sun Again !!
- Spring In Winter
- Back In the Swing of Things
- First riding lesson in deep snow
- Sun and snow again
- Snowflakes and curlies
- Yielding and Bending
- little black things??
- A Great Day to get Started!
- Tuesday's Mood Lifter
- First time blogging...ever!
- New England Weather
- Hi All, I am new to RAC, but looking forward to it...
- Sleigh Bells and Winter Fun
- Maine Winter Wonderland Ride
- Happy New Year's from VT!
- New Years Day first ride on my new stud
- New Year's Day ride 2010 !
- New Year's Day ride
- No pictures from today- sorry- it was dusk when I ...
- New Years Ride with Me
- What a Way to Start out the New Year!
- Today I made my commitment to RAC 2010 start off ...
- Happy New Year from Texas
- New Year's Day, Ride w/ Me - COLD!
- ▼ January (81)
- ► 2009 (333)