Monday, January 25, 2010
Little bits and pieces
Wow. When I read all the adventures it makes me kinda embarrassed to blog my bits and pieces but it also encourages me that I will get back in the saddle. As my boy is in a relatively small pasture (10 acres) I have made a commitment to see him for a bit every evening when I get back from work in town. So far I have made good on this and always seem to find something to work on. Mocha is in with Spike, a filly who has not had the tincture of time Mocha has and has demonstrated a desire to not be haltered unless she is in a round pen. Thus much of my time is spent cooing to my good boy and re-educating this curly girl about the benefits of being haltered. A couple of times she has flared away from me and Mocha left but gave back to me after only a short walk. I realized that in my greener training days - when I first started Mocha - I neglected the being friends and just "being" with him. I always caught him and worked him and thus he has not been too enthused about being with me. After just one short week, I have noticed a difference as he hears my voice and comes over to see me - or to check my pockets for treats. this does my heart good as I love nothing better than spending time with him. If I canmake it work I am going to insert apicture that shows my boy's personality:
This last weekend I led him the mile from the barn to a neighbors pasture to graze while on a stake and a 50 foot rope. Another neighbor stopped to in her vehicle to visit and Mocha was a patient boy and even stuck his head in the window for scratches! He is soooo cute! ( and nope, I am NOT prejudiced). When he and Spike - who went down the road behind a four-wheeler - were done eating, I led the two of them back to the barn. This was fun as Spike walks fast and Mocha walks slow. Because I like the slower mode I worked on getting Spike to listen to me and pace herself with me. She had a couple of hard-headed curly moments of "NO, you walk faster" but it only took a bit of firmness to convince her to listen to me and follow my cues.
Once we got to the barn I turned her loose into the pasture and kept Mocha in hand. I took my bucket and stood on it next to his back but found myself not quite comfortable with hopping aboard. I suppose I could just cave and saddle him up but dog-gone it I am going to beat this! Thanks for listening and your support and keep up the good riding!
And just so you can feel sorry for my baby-boy another picture of what I do to torture him. As a baby in the mountains of WY he froze the tips of his ears so now he has the cutest rounded, slightly short ears and I help him keep them warm by letting him wear my gloves. Besides he is so cute doing his reindeer impersonation!
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- I DID IT!!!!!
- Twice Out on Crutches
- first time in a while riding
- Freezin on Hockey Day in Canada
- The Windchill Continues
- New Hope
- One of those days
- Saturday Shannon and I went to work in an indoor ...
- He DOES listen!!
- New Years day my daughter Shannon and I went for ...
- This is Ringo and I at the beach when we first go...
- Lakota's Busy Day
- Little bits and pieces
- Stella's Latest Adventure I
- Getting Ready for Donna's Trail Ride
- New Hampshire Ride
- Beautiful Winter Ride
- Blue Skies, Shining at Me :)
- Short But Sweet
- More sitting on a horse than riding...
- Progress with Lacey!
- Winter Riding - snow, ice and more snow
- Horse Doula Needed :-Z
- A long awaited new begining....
- Quick update (Dolly & Diamond)
- The Tiny Great American Cattle Drive
- Working on improving our Ground Work Skills
- Lemonaid For Life
- No riding yet here but did get some horse time!
- Beautiful Winter Evening Ride 1/19/10
- On crutches, but planning for the year
- Paying Attention
- Baby steps
- Riding with Snowmobiles
- The Little Things in a Life....
- Well to get started ...
- Playing with Rose
- Another beautiful day.
- Hi All, Another great ride today. Not as nice as...
- All stretched out!
- First Ride for 2010!
- Nice day for a ride??
- Congratulations 2009 RAC Champions!
- Glorious Winter Day!
- Great Ride!
- 40 degrees today
- Riding in the dark (almost)
- I can imagine that you're getting a little tired o...
- still winter, still cold and still riding :)
- Another almost sunny day...
- 2010 Dolly & Diamond
- Playing around
- just a test
- ready to ride!
- Weekend Antics
- New Year's Day from Dian Williams
- Cold here also - but Sun Again !!
- Spring In Winter
- Back In the Swing of Things
- First riding lesson in deep snow
- Sun and snow again
- Snowflakes and curlies
- Yielding and Bending
- little black things??
- A Great Day to get Started!
- Tuesday's Mood Lifter
- First time blogging...ever!
- New England Weather
- Hi All, I am new to RAC, but looking forward to it...
- Sleigh Bells and Winter Fun
- Maine Winter Wonderland Ride
- Happy New Year's from VT!
- New Years Day first ride on my new stud
- New Year's Day ride 2010 !
- New Year's Day ride
- No pictures from today- sorry- it was dusk when I ...
- New Years Ride with Me
- What a Way to Start out the New Year!
- Today I made my commitment to RAC 2010 start off ...
- Happy New Year from Texas
- New Year's Day, Ride w/ Me - COLD!
- ▼ January (81)
- ► 2009 (333)