Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year's Day from Dian Williams


Chilly here in Indiana, with windchill below zero. But I wanted to start the new year off right, so I grabbed Buck's new harness with intent to ground drive and then hitch to cart. Buck met me in pasture, ready to work (or maybe he was hopeful for a treat). First we tried on the hobbles I bought last month. His expression was priceless. Lots of burrs so we took quite a while to get to harness time. He tried a few experimental steps with hobbles, but obviously preferred standing still.


Finally grabbed harness, guess what, harness is too big. Will have to do some hole-punching and try again on a warmer day. Best wishes to all the RACers for 2010!
~Sent in by Dian Williams, Winding Winds Curly Horses

P.S. Dian mailed her post to me because she only has internet on her cell so she is very limited in what she can post. She is reading all the posts, just might not be able to respond.

10 comments:

  1. brrr...you did well to even attempt to fit the harness. Bet your fingers were cold! I always have to take off my gloves to harness up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you weren't able to capture Buck's expression on camera! I can only imagine. LOL! Warmer weather is headed to Chicago this week, should find it's way to you also...a heat wave that may hit 40. How exciting! Here's to reading more when you get the harness adjusted and warm up your fingers and toes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, please get a pic of Buck's expression next time, although with cold like that, I don't imagine your camera would cooperate too well out of doors. Mega Kuddos to you for even being outside longer than it takes to just feed, I know I'd be huddled under a blanket, in-front of the wood stove, sipping hot chocolate crawled into a book, faced with the same weather, I'm a complete woos when it comes to extreme temps in either direction, and I definitely see your weather as extreme. Looking forward to reading about you and Buck driving though!! I've been considering that with Rhys, might have to just do it, sure would help when we have trees go down that need to be moved... hmm...
    Best,
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have her pictures, Ladies!!! Uploading soon, I have to scan them first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Buck is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos Dian! Looks as though he's a bit perplexed or insulted! Why the hobbles mom??? Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh!! Great pics!!!, Thanks for posting these for us Dian and Denise thank you for getting them to us! Buck is adorable!!! :-)
    Best,
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for posting for us Denise! We enjoy reading everyones posts. We are looking forward to the ground division as Buck & I prefer driving. So stay tuned.... :-) Dian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Dian! That is really cold. You are a brave soul to get out there in those temps. I want to know what you wear to stay warm!

    That's cool that you're training Buck to hobbles--I understand that can be very useful for a trail horse. Do you do any ground work to prepare him for those or do you just put 'em on and see how he does? I haven't done any work with Sage on hobbles yet, except to get him used to stuff around his legs so he wouldn't freak out if I out them on. (not that many things do freak him out.)

    Buck is adorable!!! What are his bloodlines?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeans over breeches, 2 sweatshirts, my Carhartt and hat. Did have to take gloves off to harness. We were in roundpen, just in case he freaked, but we've played around quite abit so he was ok. He is Yellow Hornet bloodlines x unreg Welsh mare.

    ReplyDelete