Thursday, March 31, 2011

2 weeks to Fair!!!




I am pleasantly surprised at how prepared I am for Fair this year. I think it has a lot to do with the RAC encouraging me to ride this winter even on the cold days. Both Abby and Theo are in great shape, they know their job, and I feel they truly trust me. There are a few things to care for in the next two weeks like finding a place to give them a bath, Theo's attention span in groups and hanging "signs" around the arena. One of the biggest things that spooks horses at the fair are those silly ad signs they zip tie to arena panels. I am determined to have the bravest horses there :-) So tonight I will hang tarps along the arena walls and in the outdoor to start getting them used to it. Maybe that could be an obstacle?

On to the riding details. Sunday I rode Abby up to Black Hawk. All the other boarders were just chomping at the bit for me to go so they could find out if the trails were safe enough. I managed to drag 2 of the poor riders with me so they could find out for themselves :-) It was pretty funny listening to them as we went up the steep muddy trail to the park talking about how they had to go back down it. They may question themselves the next time they go out on a ride with me. Abby was the leader the entire way and she was the best behaved as well! She's only been under saddle for 3 months now and she out rode the two older horses. Mud, trees down, hikers, nothing bothered her until... we came across a couple walking their dog on a leash! She was so silly, when we first saw them the dog was loose running around and Abby couldn't have cared less about them. Then the humans put a leash on the dog and automatically it became a horse eating MONSTER! She didn't do to much just kept stopping and considered taking a few steps away. Once they passed she was back down to her normal self. Silly horses.

I just lunged her on Monday because her stifles were a little sore from coming down the hill. Once I got her moving though she was fine. She did give me some comic relief by bucking and kicking on the lunge which she Never does so it was good to see her cut loose. Then Theo came down and decided he wanted lunged too. So he fell in right behind her trotting around the circle with no halter on! It was sooo funny and nobody was around to witness it but me.

I rode Theo on Monday and it was hard work. He was gripping the bit and trotting around with his nose out. Unfortunately, I think it has something to do with so many riders in the arena he likes to look at them all. He wasn't terrible and most people wouldn't notice it but of course I do. I was able to get him to relax and pay attention by the end. I think a little lunging before we ride with big groups will help. He will be rode again tonight and I plan on doing allot of circles and "thinking" work. I did have pics but they are at home I'll add them tonight!

3 comments:

  1. wauw great to hear You and Theo and Abby are in shape and ready, I noticed too i did more because i was encouraged by the RAC during the bad weather (like yesterday LOL)

    Theo lunging himself sounds so funny!
    Well keep on posting like to hear more.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought Theo taking it upon himself to lunge was crazy! You must have loved it. Your pictures are nice! Looks quite a bit like around here, without the pines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures whith the ears:) I also love your goal to have the best behaved horses at the fair. I think your preparation is great!
    It's great that Abby is so well behaved and only under saddle for three months! Funny how a dog on a leash is more scary than a loose dog:)
    I also find that the RAC motivates me to do more with my horses.

    ReplyDelete