Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Took a big risk but it worked


Freedom stayed at my friends farm but Sunday I decided to take him home, because we were having a severe weather alarm and I wanted him home. The weather was Very bad. Monday lots of flooded areas and 3 tornado's hit North KY. I pray for the people who got hurt and lost their homes. We are very lucky to be in the South and everybody is ok.

Today was a beautiful sunny day and I took a big chance. I really wanted to trail ride Freedom again, but he still don’t want to move very easy, and if I push him he will crop up and buck. I have another little quarter pony ( I am working him on cattle) who is also very green, but he is too fast and can be spooky on a trail. So I thought, what if I ride Freedom and pony Marshall maybe they will encourage each other. I took them both to my friend so they had spend the last 3 days together (they are in the same herd though but they both have other friends if you know what I mean). So two green horses at the same time.....will that work out?
Well I turned out VERY well. I had not had thought it would be such a GREAT ride. We had so much fun and ride a full 1.5 hour on the trails and big open fields.
Freedom was very fast and I even had to hold him back because he wanted to GO. Marshall on the other hand I had to drag sometimes and he did not spook once.

Another big surprise....Freedom has the famous curly shuffle I read so much about. I recognized it from a video I think with Keri? Wauw it was so comfortable and relaxed I felt....super... Freedom relaxed trotting, Marshall right next to us, sunshine what more can we ask for I felt so blessed!!
Could not take pictures during the ride but took some when everybody was back in the field, I made them run and it was fun.

Marion, Kentucky
Hidden Cave Ranch

5 comments:

  1. Marion, your idea worked!! Super! You must be a very good rider in order to pony one green horse while riding the other; I doubt I could do it. I'm glad this turned out well and you had a really good experience. Do you think Freedom enjoyed himself? I love the Curly Shuffle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! sounds like they switched personalities throughout the ride. I can't wait to be able to ride trails for hours thanks for making me jealous :-) just joking ofcourse

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry I had such a wonderfull time :-)
    Susan, yes for the first time I realy believed Freedom had a good time, like huh this is not bad...and after a while this is FUN

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you are a brave one to do that! so glad it worked. good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marion that is great! A brave move that worked out well! Great to hear Freedom is also enjoying himself!

    ReplyDelete