Friday, March 11, 2011

Dusty's 2nd ride on the trails




Yesterday I took Dusty out on the 30 acres behind the barn for her 2nd trail outing. I rode her in the sand arena the previous day so I figured I would just throw the saddle on her and take off in the green grass. She is MUCH more forward on the trail compared to how lazy she is in the arena. She walks out SO fast, and just wants to go! She is very alert, but not spooky. When I bought her as an untrained 7 year old she had never been off the ranch, and since I don't own a trailer she hasn't been off the property she is currently at.....so even though I am easily pleased and easily excited by anything remotely positive that she does I think she did awesome out there! At one point a coyote came out of the bushes in front of us and she didn't even blink an eye, she just kept trucking forward. It was 80 degrees and I got my first sun burn of the year, Dusty is shedding like crazy and I bet she can't wait to get rid of all her winter hair. She will be completely shed out by the time we leave for Alaska, so I am going to have to invest in a medium weight blanket for her to wear up there until she adjusts to the Alaska weather. There is a possibility we will hit snow in Canada on the drive up. Good thing she is a tough Curly :)
p.s. in the photos I realize she doesn't even look like a curly. Her mane and tail are the only non-curly parts of her. She has the most beautiful curly eye lashes and tight curls in her ears :)

4 comments:

  1. You have such nice weather for a ride, and getting a sunburn allready! I love your pictures. It's funny to see her straight mane and the rest of her being curly. I have never seen that combination before.
    It is great that she was not scared of the cayote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first pic of all the hair on the ground! Looks like little snowballs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely. Love the white color of her face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brave girl! Her color is so striking. Don't you just love riding a forward horse?
    Does Dusty get sunburned on her face?

    ReplyDelete