Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Finally!

I finally got to ride in a clinic! Natalie and I took Amigo and Theo to a jumping clinic this past weekend. I mostly wanted to see how Theo would react to the new place since the fair is next month but I also wanted to make sure I wasn't torturing him every time I jumped :-) I'm a dressage/trail riding jumping is new to me.

My first tip for those that don't travel with your horses much (like myself)... Don't plan your first big outing on daylight savings you have enough to think about. Some how I managed to set my clock ahead 2 extra hours and we were scheduled to be at the barn at 5:30... yep do the math that was really 3:30. On top of that I woke up an hour early... yep 2:30 a.m.

Thank you Switzerland for Red Bull.

The horse loaded pretty good, Theo was a little sluggish getting on and bit excited when Amigo wasn't there right away but not major.

Once we got to the clinic Theo was really a gentlemen. I excepted the worst and he proved me wrong. He had a lot of go once we were in the arena but I never felt that he was overly excited just enjoying the space to get out and go.
The clinic was actually pretty boring for the most part but I did learn a few things about control their shoulders and Theo got to work on his halt! We are terrible at it but now I feel like I have the tools to work with him on it.

We also did what I think was our first shoulder in. I'm sure it wasn't the correct way to cue it cause the guy didn't seem to know what he was talking about but none the less Theo was on the bend to the inside with his shoulders in track 2 and hind in track 1. He was very light under me and it felt nice.

Towards the end we finally got to do some jumping. The guy was pretty impressed with Theo's power in his hind end (go Curly butt). We jumped the highest him and I have ever jumped 2ft 6inches or more I can't remember.

All in all I got out of it mainly what I went for and that was to get Theo some experience riding in a strange place. I was just disappointed we didn't spend more time working on jumping.

I will post a video when I get home.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good outing anyway and its always nice to have the first one like that under your belt. They do tend to have pretty big and powerful butts don't they?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the instructor was a bust, but you got your Curly out there in a new place JUMPING so all was not lost. That is a big jump!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great experience to be out in a different arena woring with your horse. Also good that Theo proved you wrong when you expected the worst! Now that you know this instructor you can maybe look for someone elso for a next jumping clinic. I hope you find an instructor that works well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you on your hard work and effort - trailering, being at a new place, and working with a new instructor. I am so excited to hear about another Curly jumping - their little butts are like springs! I think there is nothing more exciting than sailing over a fence! Good work!

    ReplyDelete