Sunday, March 20, 2011

Third jumping lesson

Another fun and successful jumping lesson for me and Tessa.  I am really enjoying these lessons and plan to continue them for a few more weeks at least.  It allows us to do quite a bit of cantering and yet under control circumstances.  Here are a few of photos of us that I got from the video:


Katia (instructor) suggested that I consider using a running martingale for Tessa - I am thinking about it, but I am something of a puritan (lol) when it comes to devices and I would really much rather achieve my results with classical methods.  I might try the martingale, for only a few lessons and see how it goes, but I believe that Tessa simply needs more work at the canter, soft and forward on a circle in the ring and then she will get long low and round.  She is a go-ey horse for sure, but I know she can work softly and she is not balance yet this year for cantering properly on a circle.  Anyhow, I know that a running martingale is perfectly acceptable for most english disciplines, but I think I would rather do the work that it takes to get Tess where I want, rather than take a shortcut - but we will see how it goes!  Tessa also "looks" like she is a bit difficult to control, but she actually is not - she is forward, yes, but easy to ride.
Here is the bit of video from Friday: 

Okay - it is sunny out today - off to ride again!
Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

5 comments:

  1. Is there anything this mare can't do?? LOL. She is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome experience! I've never jumped on a horse before and not sure I ever will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great what a team. She is fanstastic and so are you. Like a said a good team together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your philosophy of working through it to get her where you want her rather than relying on a piece of equipment. I completely understand in some cases its necessary but if you know what the issue is and can fix it through work then you will only come out a stronger team for it! : )

    ReplyDelete